Ph.D in Biosciences with Low GPA?

pstar465

Hi guys! I'm applying for fall 2014 entrance to Ph.D. programs in microbiology. I went to JHU for undergrad and got a 2.86 (ouch, I know). I did poorly my first year, but the other three years I averaged around a 3.1, and I took several graduate classes as an undergrad, which I got mostly "A"s in. I have two years research experience in virology, one of those being full-time postgrad. I work in a competitive government lab, and I'm a researcher on many projects. I scored in the 89th% on the verbal gre, 84% on quantitative, 97% on writing.

My question is: are my research experiences and GRE possibly good enough to overcome my GPA?

Edit: I also had a talk at a research conference and a poster at ASV, and possibly 2 second-author papers by the end of this year.

Edited by persh221

Many places set a flat-out 3.0 GPA cutoff and won't even look at your application if it's below that.  Some might make exceptions.  You will have to look for that specifically on each school's website.

I agree with beakerbreaker:

From my experience, this will mainly hurt you in the initial screening of applications.  With funding tight, schools want to bring in students with GRE and GPA levels that will allow them to apply and get fellowships and external funding.  They get hundreds to thousands of applications for maybe 5-30 positions in a program (this varies wildly).  They have to somehow set the applications in order for review by the committee.  They usually do this with GRE score and GPA (one or the other, or in some average/combination).  After they rank the apps they start reviewing, and if you are at the bottem they will probably not even look at yours.

But this does not mean you can't get into certain programs.  Your GRE scores are very competitive.  Your GPA continued to rise throughout your undergrad (some apps ask for your Jr/Sr year GPA separate, which will help show your improvement).  You have good research experience.  It will GREATLY help you to actually have those publications accepted by the time you apply.

So in short: this may hurt you.  Go ahead and try to apply, as the rest of your app looks good (better make an amazing SOP!!!).  If you apply to 10 schools and only get 1 interview, either you are aiming too high or you aren't getting past the initial screening.  But remember, you will only be attending 1 program!  Be smart in deciding where to apply and don't be afraid to call (NOT EMAIL) the program to ask about cutoffs or other screening practices (and your chances to get past them).

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! I'm applying for fall 2014 entrance to Ph.D. programs in microbiology. I went to JHU for undergrad and got a 2.86 (ouch, I know). I did poorly my first year, but the other three years I averaged around a 3.1, and I took several graduate classes as an undergrad, which I got mostly "A"s in. I have two years research experience in virology, one of those being full-time postgrad. I work in a competitive government lab, and I'm a researcher on many projects. I scored in the 89th% on the verbal gre, 84% on quantitative, 97% on writing.

My question is: are my research experiences and GRE possibly good enough to overcome my GPA?

Edit: I also had a talk at a research conference and a poster at ASV, and possibly 2 second-author papers by the end of this year.

I'm also a JHU grad (bio) with a 2.9 GPA.....I took time off to do exactly what you did- get some experience, publications, presentations ect... my GREs are similar to yours but I decided to also do a masters post undergrad with a 3.9 GPA (at JHU).... anyone have an idea if my master's GPA might make up for my undergrad GPA?