Question About Fulbright for Study

bar_scene_gambler

I'm just starting my application for the Fulbright for Fall 2014, and I had a question regarding the statement of grant purpose. If the reason for my searching for a grant is funding an MA in the UK, and not necessarily research oriented, do I still need to have a research goal in mind? Realistically, the reason why I'm applying for the Fulbright is because there is an amazing school in the UK for some very specific areas of philosophy which I'd like to specialize in academically (Nietzsche/French Existentialism) and I won't be able to fund it myself. And, frankly, it's one of the better programs in the English speaking world (necessary for me, because I only speak English and Mandarin). I don't have a specific research goal in mind, as I'm just looking to continue on my path towards a PhD, but if I still need one, I can develop one.

I'm just starting my application for the Fulbright for Fall 2014, and I had a question regarding the statement of grant purpose. If the reason for my searching for a grant is funding an MA in the UK, and not necessarily research oriented, do I still need to have a research goal in mind? Realistically, the reason why I'm applying for the Fulbright is because there is an amazing school in the UK for some very specific areas of philosophy which I'd like to specialize in academically (Nietzsche/French Existentialism) and I won't be able to fund it myself. And, frankly, it's one of the better programs in the English speaking world (necessary for me, because I only speak English and Mandarin). I don't have a specific research goal in mind, as I'm just looking to continue on my path towards a PhD, but if I still need one, I can develop one.

Requests that are clearly funding only will have a hard time making it through the application process. The Fulbright is, first and foremost, a cultural exchange, and you'd need to keep that in mind while preparing your application.