Paying for phd applications

LDNgrad

Does anyone have any tips on how to get free, or reduced fee applications to grad schools?

With each application costing between $70 and $100 my checking account will be very unhappy by the end of this process!

Any tips/tricks would be much appreciated!

A lot of universities have application fee waivers. I recommend you looking into each university to see if you qualify

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted a thread yesterday on this...even if there isn't anything explicitly posted on the graduate admissions site you should definitely ask and see if your circumstances (the more unique the better) justify a waiver.  I applied to 6 schools last year while I was serving with the Peace Corps in Africa and all but one waived my application fees.  I could have gotten a GRE waiver too but it was after the fact that I realized that.

There are scholarships for a few fields of study that will give you funding for graduate applications, but your research interests have to align very well with the organization that is giving the scholarship. Other than that, some programs, like McNair, will pay for graduate applications from a list of pre-approved schools. Your best bet is the fee waiver for each school, though.