MFA Sculpture Applications for 2014

agrobaby

Still haven't heard from Indiana.......I'm glad I've had two interviews, but I just kind of think I'm out.

That sucks about Indiana.  I still haven't heard from Ohio State yet and they said I would know by the beginning of March. SAIC sculpture, I don't even know anymore… Im still waiting for a decision letter.  I am probably out of the running with both of them. 

Did you get your financial aid offer from CCA yet?  I was able to logon via the online portal to see it before I got my package in the mail. They offered 10K a year of need based scholarship plus 1 guaranteed semester of TA work.  It seems like I could possibly get more TA work and I heard from another applicant that I could ask for more financial aid if I really needed to. I've decided to take my vacation time mid april to head out to San Fran to check the school out thoroughly and hopefully get to see the sites a bit. I think I'll rent a car and trek out to Yosemite National Park while I am there.

At the beginning I really had my doubts about CCA because it wasn't such a buzz school in my part of my country, but they seem to be courting me to a point where I am getting an exciting feeling about their offer. The director of grad admissions even returned a phone call after business hours and when I told him a about my external fellowship situation he extended the deposit deadline for me.  CCA might not have been the school I really set my heart on when entering this process but I think it might be the type of school that I need. 

Yea I got 15, but that isn't enough for me.....I love the school thoughI 

I know how you feel.  I looked at your site and noticed that you graduated in 2011. Since you are considering reapplying next year, you should look at the Jack Kent Cook Foundation Graduate Arts Award.  You would need have graduated in the past 5 years, high GPA, show excellence/experience, and have financial need.  Its a multi-phase application process, basically leveling up to national award consideration.  Its the award that I am nominated for and is one of the biggest reasons why I am applying to grad school this fall, since I am at my 5 year cut off mark.  So I suggest that you and any lurkers who are out there look into into the award now. It takes quite a while to get ready with portfolio and reference requests and once i started the process took about 2 months of evenings away from me, but i was obsessive with getting reviews and editing my application.  I still won't find out until may if i get the award until may, but I hope that my effort pays off.  Maybe it could work for you too. 

Edited by Yellow Magnet

I got 25k from CU for sculpture, which is not enough, is there a change that they can review?any ideas about how to get outside scholarships for international students

Hey! I noticed you made the decision to attend CMU!  Congrats and best of luck. I hope you will stick around contributing to the grad cafe threads, at least till the season is over.  

Thank you! Yes, I just decided that I would probably always regret not going there if I didn't. It is a "dream school" and I'm grateful for the opportunity. Plus, the funding package is also quite nice! I'm very excited about what this next phase in my life and work will bring.  :D

Also, I'll definitely keep checking in for awhile to see what people decide.

I got 25k from CU for sculpture, which is not enough, is there a change that they can review?any ideas about how to get outside scholarships for international students

It doesn't hurt to ask for more, I guess- and I don't have any ideas for how to go about getting outside scholarships for international students, but Columbia seems to: http://arts.columbia.edu/admissions/financing-your-degree

Thank you! Yes, I just decided that I would probably always regret not going there if I didn't. It is a "dream school" and I'm grateful for the opportunity. Plus, the funding package is also quite nice! I'm very excited about what this next phase in my life and work will bring.  :D

Also, I'll definitely keep checking in for awhile to see what people decide.

It doesn't hurt to ask for more, I guess- and I don't have any ideas for how to go about getting outside scholarships for international students, but Columbia seems to: http://arts.columbia.edu/admissions/financing-your-degree

Thank you!

My visit to cranbrook was amazing and Im so glad I visited. I learned as much as I could about the school in person, and went beyond the sculpture walls to see as much of the school as possible. It has a completely unique program structure, heaviest on the studio practice and discourse, with a small community that will allow me easier access to interacting with multiple disciplines and multiple facilities. A higher level of interaction with visiting artists, critics, and research opportunities with their own established natural science museum, a badass library and their own contemporary art museum. And then they put a perfect cherry on top for me, they have the most Fulbrights per capita through individualized support from a committee. It's something so unique and completely different from my undergrad at VCU...that I've got an overwhelming feeling in my chest, fluttering with excitement, the kind that is so sure that this is the school. I was told by my close friends that Cranbrook would be my school would be a great school for me, I just needed to experience and come to the conclusion for myself.

While I was at Cranbrook, I was talking to another applicant about where else I applied and interviewed and he was able to figure out that I was posting here on grad cafe, the lurker knows who he is ;) and I wish him the best of luck as well (this is the second time it's happened to me). It wasn't at all upsetting, just coincidental and entertaining. But it made me realize really how small our little sculpture world is at this stage of the game. In light of that, I realized yes it's completely possible for someone associated with Cranbrook to end up reading this.

So I'm gonna put it out there and hope that the universe will reverberate my vibes: I have officially decided, if Cranbrook accepts me, I will withdraw from my wait-list spot at RISD, cancel my travel plans to see CCA in person (the loss I will take on the plan ticket which will still give me a gain towards Cranbrook's 1K deposit), and even if by some miracle SAIC sculpture decided to accept me via letter next week I will turn it down. The only way SAIC could persuade me to reconsider at this point is with at least 50% scholarship and that seems highly unlikely.

Yes, I love you Cranbrook Academy Of Art. If you love me too, let's do this....Two years of craziness and self realization, some sleepless nights, the possibility of a bit more debt, but hopefully in the end we will become family. I'm ready to commit to the terminal degree I will have for the rest of my life, and I want it from you.

Edited by Yellow Magnet

Hello all,

am stressing out badly and i need everyone to just advice, am super confused if am gonna loose grad school this year again due to funding. I applied to only 3 schools for sculpture, Yale- waitlisted, columbia- accepted, hunter- accepted. now, columbia is offering 25,000 financial aid withTA inclusive while the total I need for a session is about 81,000.  Hunter is not offering anything. so, am an international student and there are no local bursaries or loans i can leverage on. I have to accept to columbia by the 15th and pay $800, am not sure where to get money to go and WHAT CAN I DO? Any Ideas for an African student on where i can get resources?

Hello all,

am stressing out badly and i need everyone to just advice, am super confused if am gonna loose grad school this year again due to funding. I applied to only 3 schools for sculpture, Yale- waitlisted, columbia- accepted, hunter- accepted. now, columbia is offering 25,000 financial aid withTA inclusive while the total I need for a session is about 81,000.  Hunter is not offering anything. so, am an international student and there are no local bursaries or loans i can leverage on. I have to accept to columbia by the 15th and pay $800, am not sure where to get money to go and WHAT CAN I DO? Any Ideas for an African student on where i can get resources?

Hello vickolors,

You could email (or call) Hunter or Columbia and explain your situation? They may be able to help or direct you to another source to help you find money. If loans are not available to you and if this year doesn't work out, then maybe you should look into MFA programs that are fully funded and gives you a stipend or apply for a Fulbright as someone else mentioned. I hope this year works out for you though.  

Edited by raku

Hello vickolors,

You could email (or call) Hunter or Columbia and explain your situation? They may be able to help or direct you to another source to help you find money. If loans are not available to you and if this year doesn't work out, then maybe you should look into MFA programs that are fully funded and gives you a stipend or apply for a Fulbright as someone else mentioned. I hope this year works out for you though.  

Thank you for all you suggestions, Its just very much crazy, Full bright in My country supports only university faculty not graduate students. I have been in touch with Cu, but they got back to me that they don't have more until people accept in other Genre, they might be able to decide….

• 3 months later...