MFA Sculpture Applications for 2014

agrobaby

I just got my interview email from CCA! my first sculpture interview as well!

I also applied to UCLA, Cornell, and Inidana-U Bloomington

Are you going skype or in person?  I filled the online form out for a skype interview but have not had anyone contact me to confirm.

Also, I received a phone call today from SAIC sculpture dept requesting an in person interview on March 1st!  This one i will go to in person for sure.  

Are you going skype or in person?  I filled the online form out for a skype interview but have not had anyone contact me to confirm.

Also, I received a phone call today from SAIC sculpture dept requesting an in person interview on March 1st!  This one i will go to in person for sure.  

Congrats! How long ago did you receive that call?

Just got that call too!  I'll see you there!

Yellow magnet why aren't you applying to UCLA?

Facilities and faculty are very important for me.  Primarily facilities: They did not have the digital output (CNC, Laser, 3D print) or  foundry capabilities.  So I looked at the faculty part and I was only really interested in one faculty member: Charles Ray. That was not enough for me.

The only place on my list has weaker facilities but makes up with 3-4 faculty I am dying for is Columbia. 

Facilities and faculty are very important for me.  Primarily facilities: They did not have the digital output (CNC, Laser, 3D print) or  foundry capabilities.  So I looked at the faculty part and I was only really interested in one faculty member: Charles Ray. That was not enough for me.

The only place on my list has weaker facilities but makes up with 3-4 faculty I am dying for is Columbia. 

This was concern with UCLA as well- especially as I'm also working with 3d printing and doing a lot of digital work.  Congrats on the SAIC interviews to all who got them!!!

Yellow Magnet, I can understand the facilities, but faculty? CAtherine Opie is amazing! along with Hirsch Perlman and Barbara Kruger (which i think she only teaches undergrad)

It is my number one closely tied with Cornell (I really want to work with Carl Ostendarp)

Yellow Magnet, I can understand the facilities, but faculty? CAtherine Opie is amazing! along with Hirsch Perlman and Barbara Kruger (which i think she only teaches undergrad)

It is my number one closely tied with Cornell (I really want to work with Carl Ostendarp)

Everyone has particular artists and institutions they want to work with and why.  I'm looking for artists who have a specific background and that I know we would vibe well, not just the ooh and ahhs of having an crush on their artwork.  I love Barbara Kruger a ton, but she really isnt the one that I want giving me feed back. 

Think of it this way...  I'm one less person to compete with for a spot.  B)

'Applicant Denied' for Temple, Tyler school of art.  The only thing that sucks about that reject is that I will never know if it was because one of my recommenders submitted a letter so late that I was not considered in the batch or if it was because I didn't have the type of work that they were looking for.  I know that interviews requests went out before by applicant was considered complete, sculpture interviews are for March 2nd. 

Oh well.  Im not too broken hearted over this one. 

Sorry to hear that, Yellow Magnet. It seems like you have some great things going for you already though, so I'm sure that helps. I hope you don't spend too much time wondering what it was- it may be that they already have someone there doing similar work...?

Yeah Yellow Magnet, that is a bummer that they don't even give you any reason why you get rejected. I really dispise that part about the process most. The value of criticism is that you can consider it and make adjustments as you like. But with a two-word rejection, not anything to be interpreted there. I think the application fee we all pay deserves at least a simple explanation.

Yeah Yellow Magnet, that is a bummer that they don't even give you any reason why you get rejected. I really dispise that part about the process most. The value of criticism is that you can consider it and make adjustments as you like. But with a two-word rejection, not anything to be interpreted there. I think the application fee we all pay deserves at least a simple explanation.

Totally. some kind of criticism would have been nice… even if its some number code system with a reference sheet like back in grade school.  

Totally. some kind of criticism would have been nice… even if its some number code system with a reference sheet like back in grade school.  

UC Davis had this line in their rejection letter:

"The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:

• Not as competitive as other applicants on the basis of the audition tape or portfolio submitted."

...which *really* would have stung, if I hadn't seen previous threads in this forum where other rejectees quoted the same bit from theirs. (Including one guy who got into Columbia and a whole slew of other places. So...who knows!) I think it must be standard for them.

UC Davis had this line in their rejection letter:

"The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:

• Not as competitive as other applicants on the basis of the audition tape or portfolio submitted."

...which *really* would have stung, if I hadn't seen previous threads in this forum where other rejectees quoted the same bit from theirs. (Including one guy who got into Columbia and a whole slew of other places. So...who knows!) I think it must be standard for them.

I've talked to my faculty from undergrad and they even consider your work among the students who are already at the program.  So, if the portfolio can contribute to group dynamics, that becomes a competitive factor.