MFA Sculpture Applications for 2014

agrobaby

Congrats, Yellow Magnet! 

No interviews, but two of the schools on my list state that there won't be any admissions decisions until late March/early April- Mills and FSU. 

I see you applied to CMU as well and their process is a mystery to me other than that offers may come late February? The snow has blown in so its not looking very good for Thursday. Oh well. 

Have you guys got any interview requests yet?

Doing a Skype interview with UT Austin on Friday. I'm nervous.  

It's a relief to see that other sculpture programs seem not to have started sending out interview requests just yet. Unless, of course, none of us are really star applicants. I often wonder if there is some categorical difference between MFA applicants who visit/contribute to gradcafe and those who do not. Is there a personality type which is more likely to spend time on message boards?  Is that type conducive to gaining admission to a top program? I dunno.  Hope so.    

It's a relief to see that other sculpture programs seem not to have started sending out interview requests just yet. Unless, of course, none of us are really star applicants. I often wonder if there is some categorical difference between MFA applicants who visit/contribute to gradcafe and those who do not. Is there a personality type which is more likely to spend time on message boards?  Is that type conducive to gaining admission to a top program? I dunno.  Hope so.    

I was thinking about this as well the other day- because plenty of people are applying and only a few here.

Congrats on the UT Austin interview! 

Congrats, Yellow Magnet! 

Thanks Ismewild!  I have no clue about CMU either and will only visit if i am offered something.  

I found that skyping with friends and family as much as possible before hand helps to prepare for interviews. 

We will never really know about what makes someone visit these forums.  But there are certainly a small percentage of applicants out there who are just just guests, reading without really contributing. At least your getting your feeling out somewhere. I think i would go mad if I otherwise.

But i also think interview requests will completely vary from school to school.  Admissions efficiency and their committee structures will differentiate who starts sending things out first.  Then there is the ratio of applicants to spots open and how effective they are at going through their applications.  you never know. 

Thanks Ismewild!  I have no clue about CMU either and will only visit if i am offered something.  

I called them yesterday to express my concern about travelling there and they told me that it would be best to wait and visit after acceptance if I felt uncomfortable travelling there. Also, that the visitation was primarily to become more informed about their program and would have no bearing on acceptance. Still, I was very excited about seeing the school and meeting some of the grad students so I'm pretty bummed. Even if I'm not considered, it would have been great to see what is going on there. 

I was thinking about contacting the two programs that haven't given any kind of notice yet. Is that a good idea or is that kind of a naggy thing to do? Should I wait another week to attack?

Regarding interviews at SAIC, I'd say it's not out of the question up until a couple weeks before the school-wide interview day, which is in the spring if I'm not mistaken.

Its amazing how the SAIC departments work at vastly different speeds and turn around rates.  

I got an email yesterday with acceptance into SAIC Art Admin and Policy with a deans award (idk how much).  Something official will come to me after monday.  

Again, I haven't heard from SAIC Sculpture which i am more anxious about now. 

I did however get an interview request from California College of Art, Skype sometime after the 17th of feb.  Waiting for official interview time and date. 

I'd wait. It is still early.

Thanks. Actually, PAFA's website now says in the status 

Resume Complete ........1/13/2014  

Decision Letter Sent .......Pending    

Tuition Deposit ..........Pending    

Tuition Deposit #2 .......Pending    

Candidate Reply Form ......Pending    

New Student Information Form ........Pending

The decision letter has been sent, so I guess I'll have something physical some time soon. I find it peculiar that below the "Decision Letter Sent" line, there are "Tuition Deposit" "Candidate Reply Form" and "New Student Information Form" lines. I assume it shows up that way for everyone, but does anyone else have that?

Edited by tomberry

Its amazing how the SAIC departments work at vastly different speeds and turn around rates.  

I got an email yesterday with acceptance into SAIC Art Admin and Policy with a deans award (idk how much).  Something official will come to me after monday.  

Again, I haven't heard from SAIC Sculpture which i am more anxious about now.

Yeah, last year, I got an acceptance from art & technology nearly a month before I got a final decision from the other departments I applied to. It didn't hurt that ATS didn't interview me though.