UCL vs LSE (Human Rights)

Hello, all!

I am a student from the US pursuing my masters degree in Human Rights in the UK this September. I have offers from both University College London (MA Human Rights) and London School of Economics (MSc Human Rights) - and am wondering which university holds the better reputation for this program and overall for social sciences, as I may choose to continue onto a PhD in international relations or a related field. I have been struggling with this decision for a while, and cannot seem to reach a conclusion!

I know that UCL tends to be ranked more highly overall in leagues tables, but how realistic is this knowing that LSE is a specialized university? And do these rankings hold true for graduate programs as well? It seems to me that while UCL is ranked statistically higher, LSE has the better word of mouth reputation (at least in the US)? International reputation is key, as I am hoping to end up in either London or New York working for an IO/NGO (like the UN or Amnesty) or at a university.

Other questions:
-Is there a difference between the prestige of an MA and an MSc?
-UCL's program is only 10 years old. Is this necessarily a disadvantage?
-UCL's program has a greater number of required courses, especially in terms of research methodology. Would this be preferable in the eyes of employers?

I am very grateful for ANY advice you may have!

• 4 months later...

Hello, all!

I am a student from the US pursuing my masters degree in Human Rights in the UK this September. I have offers from both University College London (MA Human Rights) and London School of Economics (MSc Human Rights) - and am wondering which university holds the better reputation for this program and overall for social sciences, as I may choose to continue onto a PhD in international relations or a related field. I have been struggling with this decision for a while, and cannot seem to reach a conclusion!

I know that UCL tends to be ranked more highly overall in leagues tables, but how realistic is this knowing that LSE is a specialized university? And do these rankings hold true for graduate programs as well? It seems to me that while UCL is ranked statistically higher, LSE has the better word of mouth reputation (at least in the US)? International reputation is key, as I am hoping to end up in either London or New York working for an IO/NGO (like the UN or Amnesty) or at a university.

Other questions:

-Is there a difference between the prestige of an MA and an MSc?

-UCL's program is only 10 years old. Is this necessarily a disadvantage?

-UCL's program has a greater number of required courses, especially in terms of research methodology. Would this be preferable in the eyes of employers?

I am very grateful for ANY advice you may have!

Hello I would like to know where you ended up going and if you liked your choice?