Is it worth applying to top IA graduate programs if you have a low GRE Quant score?

I would appreciate some advice.  Does anyone have any insight as to how much the GRE Quant score matters to top IA graduate programs?

I have spent the last three months studying for the GRE.  I also took a test prep course.  My last two scores on practice tests were exactly the same: 160 in Verbal and 149 in Math.  At this point I doubt either score will improve that much.

I know that no one here is on an admissions committee.  But I do not know what I should do in this situation.  Should I still apply to Georgetown SFS, JHU SAIS, Columbia SIPA, Tufts Fletcher School, etc. in the Fall?  Or is it not worth it?

I think it's worth applying. I know I was certainly surprised at acceptances (and funding) I got from schools whose stated average GPAs were higher than mine. I had a good GRE score, good languages, and am a few years out of undergrad, and I think that helped balance it.

Do you have a solid GPA and decent work experience? Did you take some econ or quant courses and do well in them? If not, then maybe you can take a math or econ course at a local community college and ace it, just to show that you have the aptitude but perhaps don't test so well. 

I have a good GPA and two year's experience teaching at a university in China.  I did well in Macroeconomics and Microeconomics.  I also plan on auditing a statistics course in the Fall as I finish up my Asian Studies graduate degree.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the exact same question.  I had planned on applying to Georgetown, GW, and American, but I took the gre today and got 151 on quant (verbal is fine I think, 166).  I studied for it, but it was probably not my best effort.  I took a five-week trip this summer and brought my materials with me, but suffice it to say I was pretty distracted. 

Should I retake the gre?  I'm starting an intensive Chinese program this fall and that is going to take up most of my time.  I was hoping to be done with the gre studying by now so I could focus on my language acquisition.  Will I still be considered wih my current scores?

I have the exact same question.  I had planned on applying to Georgetown, GW, and American, but I took the gre today and got 151 on quant (verbal is fine I think, 166).  I studied for it, but it was probably not my best effort.  I took a five-week trip this summer and brought my materials with me, but suffice it to say I was pretty distracted. 

Should I retake the gre?  I'm starting an intensive Chinese program this fall and that is going to take up most of my time.  I was hoping to be done with the gre studying by now so I could focus on my language acquisition.  Will I still be considered wih my current scores?

I think that your scores may be good enough for GW and American.  Georgetown is one of the best IR programs in the country and admits a smaller number of students than other programs.  But there are people on this forum who got into your preferred IR programs with the same GRE Quant scores as you (and even lower).  Here are some things you might want to think about:

1) What is the strength of your overall application?  Do you have any other problems besides a low GRE Quant score? 

2) Do you have prior quantitative coursework or work experience?  Have you taken any economics or statistics classes?  If you have, than that could lessen the effect of average GRE Quant scores on your application.

3) Do you honestly think that dedicating another 2-3 months to studying for the GRE will help improve your Quant score?  If you do, then go for it.  But it might not be worth it if you think your score won't improve by much.  In my case I spent months studying for the GRE and even took a test prep course.  I took the GRE last week and got an unofficial score of 153 on the Quant section.  I might take the test again in a year or so but I don't know if I want to spend that more time trying to improve my score when I doubt I will get above a 156 on the Quant section.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm surprised you had to take the GRE- isn't that requirement usually waived if you've already completed a Masters?

I guess Georgetown might be out of the mix now.  I looked back over my transcripts and saw that I got a B- in both Macroeconomics and Statistics, so that won't look good either.  As far as the rest of my application, I have no idea how I'll measure up compared to the rest!  I think I can crank out a pretty good SOP expressing my interest in the field.  I'll have spent 5 years abroad (teaching), which is somewhat related experience.  I might have some trouble getting a LOR from a professor since I graduated a while ago, but I'll have good professional references.

Actually, I want to go into public diplomacy (for which Georgetown doesn't even have a concentration), so the programs I'm looking at are technically international communications.  Maybe quantative skills aren't emphasized as much in these programs?  That would be nice.

You should probably look at the "Am I competitive" mega-thread. Everyone I've talked to gives you the usual speil about how it's only one factor, and it's true. I'm kind of in a similar boat, but felt reassured after talking to admission people from various schools that work experience and other factors can offset a poor Quant score. Your grades in econ and this stats course should help allay their concerns. I've been through a few info sessions recently and was pleasantly surprised to find that even top programs middle 80% included people with GRE Quant scores in the high 40s low 50s percentiles.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm surprised you had to take the GRE- isn't that requirement usually waived if you've already completed a Masters?

I guess Georgetown might be out of the mix now.  I looked back over my transcripts and saw that I got a B- in both Macroeconomics and Statistics, so that won't look good either.  As far as the rest of my application, I have no idea how I'll measure up compared to the rest!  I think I can crank out a pretty good SOP expressing my interest in the field.  I'll have spent 5 years abroad (teaching), which is somewhat related experience.  I might have some trouble getting a LOR from a professor since I graduated a while ago, but I'll have good professional references.

Actually, I want to go into public diplomacy (for which Georgetown doesn't even have a concentration), so the programs I'm looking at are technically international communications.  Maybe quantative skills aren't emphasized as much in these programs?  That would be nice.

I know that GW waives the GRE requirement for people who already have Master's degrees but that's about it.  I saw the GRE as an opportunity to show programs that quant coursework would not be difficult for me even though I have a social sciences background.

It's hard to tell how much standardized test scores matter with graduate programs.  It's not like you are applying to law schools or even business schools where standardized test scores are much more important.  You can apply to Georgetown but think of it as your reach/dream school.  Make a strong case and see what happens.  You could also take an online economics class.

It sounds like you want to go into the Foreign Service.  Have you considered taking the FSOT and just skipping graduate school completely?

Thanks, Steve.  It's good to know that other people have gotten in with similar scores.  I was just worried because my quant score is below average for most of the schools that I'm applying to.  I'll still consider taking it again though.  It's a lot of money, but even if I get in to graduate school I'm pretty sure no one would offer me funding.

Mrgreen, I actually took the FSOT last year and passed, but I was dropped in the second round.  I didn't get around to taking it again this year, but I was hoping that completing a degree in PD and getting an internship would give me more fodder to write about on the personal essays.  I had a related internship with the State Dept. in undergrad, but that was five years ago.  Also, I wouldn't mind working in civil service. 

Thanks again for both of your responses!  I guess all I can do is try to make the rest of my application as strong as possible and hope for the best.