SIPA MPA-ESP vs MPA w/ Environmental Concentration

sk1290

I will be applying to Columbia SIPA this fall, but I'm not sure whether to apply to the MPA-ESP program or the regular MPA with an Environmental Policy concentration. College-level chemistry and biology are important prerequisites for the former program. I took AP Chem in high school, but I don't have any bio coursework. Also, I have two years of work experience in environmental economics. The MPA-ESP program has a better overall ranking, although I'm sure one could take the same policy courses in the regular MPA. So would it make sense to apply just to the regular MPA? or both?

• 1 month later...

Hey, I did the MIA with the env concentration. If you absolutely know you want to do env works than the MPA-ESP is great. It is a very different curriculum than the MPA and MIA and includes many env science classes that are unavailable to you if you are just an MPA with the env concentration. SIPA has robust energy classes but only a few worthwhile env one, and mostly on the policy side of things,

Also an MPA is one yearand has a very flexible curriculum, giving you time to intern in between your first and second year or during the year. The ESP program is seperate, and is a pretty strict curriculum, very intense. If I were you I would apply to the ESP, or apply to both. You will not be able to take the ESP classes if you are just MPA. The ESP students I met were very smart, it is a good group.