Buying a computer in Canada

nugget

I need to buy a laptop and I'd like some suggestions on where to find one at a good price and which model I should get. I'd mostly be using the computer for the internet and microsoft office. I want a 14 inch screen. It should be sturdy and weigh less than 3 pounds. I'm hoping to get something decent for no more than $700 (or as close as possible to that amount). What's the best device I could get for that budget and where can the best deals be found?

Edited by jenste

Shopbot.ca is a good price aggregator. I also like Canada Computers; their service is pretty bad but prices are usually better than the big box stores. I bought an ASUS Zenbook a few weeks ago--its screen is 13.3" but otherwise meets your criteria. Looks good too.

If you have a Costco membership or access to someone who does, I'd go there -- their warranty has saved me a lot of trouble with computers a couple of years down the line (when Windows tends to be a nightmare). They change up their selection frequently, though, so they may not have something in your price range. I also like Tiger Direct--they've got an amazing selection of computers, a lot of them on sale too.

Also, if you have any choice which provice you'll be buying your laptop in (aka moving from one province to the other), I highly recommend purchasing yours in the province with lower taxes -- even 1-2% makes a difference on $700. I speak from the experience of having been foolish enough to not have done so myself...

In that price range you're looking at something from HP, which is ok, but by no means great. Your weight specifications also put you in ultrabook territory (anything under 5 lbs), but your screen size specifications, combined with your price limitations, mean that there is no way you are getting a 14in screen for under $700, weighing only 3 lbs. However, the ASUS Vivobook, which is under 5 lbs but more than 3, and has a 14in screen is an AMAZING laptop. You can buy it from a variety of places (I got mine from a microsoft store because they had a 10% student discount).  Here's a link to the asus site: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_S400CA/

One fantastic thing about this laptop is that it has a touch screen! So you really get the most out of Windows 8 (which is amazing...providing you have a touch screen). I also has a built in solid state drive, so it boots up super fast and comes back from hibernation even faster :D

Nerd_for_for_Life,

How much higher in price do you think I would need to go to get something decent that's 3lbs? The laptop you recommended looks good but I was hoping to get something a pound lighter. I find I use my laptop less when it's above a certain weight (which then leads me to think what is the point of getting one in the first place?)

I suppose I could go up to $800 or perhaps $850 for a good unit with all the things that I am looking for if there's something decent to be found in my price range.

I found the one you recommended above for $800 at Canada Computers. If I really can't find something I like in my price range then I may reconsider getting this one.

I'm not sure when to buy one though. Back to school sales used to be the best time of the year and they lasted about 4 weeks at some stores. But last year I noticed there were so many different back to school sales at Future Shop that only lasted a week long. So you can't really tell when would be the best week to buy a computer or if they'll lower the price 3 or 4 weeks later. I guess at some point in time I'll just have to give in and buy something that I like that's within budget.

I definitely considered the vivobook too and agree that a touchscreen is what makes windows 8 worthwhile. Mine doesn't have one and I'm still getting used to it.

The one I posted above costs $650 at a microsoft store, you definitely shouldn't be paying over $700 for it. In terms of going up from there, if you can get to one, Microsoft store people are pretty awesome at showing you what your options are in different weight classes and the like + they aren't on commission. I'm not laptop savvy enough to weight the pros and cons of the higher priced models that are in the 3lb range because my goal was 5lbs and under when looking for a laptop, so I did my research with that in mind. I do know that getting lighter (3lb) with a 14in screen is going to reem your wallet though o.O Might be worth getting a smaller screen to save money? Try looking at the different screen sizes they have in stock in different comp stores and see if you can imagine yourself writing on it. If you are going to buy from a store like Future Shop, I would go to Best Buy instead. They're owned by the same corporation, but Best Buy is almost always less expensive. You can buy online from both as well I believe.

ASUS is a great manufacturer, the best out of Windows based laptops. But I am surprised no one has mentioned a Chromebook yet. It is a bargain at $250 with about the same performance as $500-$1000 laptops ($1000 being MacBooks). I just bought one myself and it has worked out great for my studies. Here is a comparative review I just posted for more info, if you are interested: http://makingcentsofaphd.blogspot.com/2013/08/saving-money-on-laptop.html

Thanks for this suggestion. Since my old computer is out of commission, my new laptop will need to by my primary working computer. 11.6 inches is a bit small. Perhaps I could consider getting one of these units to take to class and do web searches and buy a second computer for about $500 that's under 5 lbs rather than 3 lbs and has a bigger screen to take with me when I'm working at the library across the street.

Hmmm... that's something to consider.

ASUS is a great manufacturer, the best out of Windows based laptops. But I am surprised no one has mentioned a Chromebook yet. It is a bargain at $250 with about the same performance as $500-$1000 laptops ($1000 being MacBooks). I just bought one myself and it has worked out great for my studies. Here is a comparative review I just posted for more info, if you are interested: http://makingcentsofaphd.blogspot.com/2013/08/saving-money-on-laptop.html