Techniques learnt after PhD

GeneNat

Hi all!

I will be finishing my PhD in a year and I am already worried about postdoc positions. I feel inadequate somehow. I was wondering what is expected out of a fresh PhD student in terms of techniques? What did/will your CV look like in the 'Techniques' section? I would be so grateful to know this.

So I overlap with molecular biology, with my primary research in biological chemistry. Mine currently has something like the following:

Human Cell Culture (Growth, Transfection, in vitro drug efficacy and toxicology studies, fluorescence imaging, flow cytometry) 

Molecular Analysis (Western Blotting, miRNA collection and quantitation (RT-q-PCR))

I'm sure people more centrally located in biology will be able to add theirs, as well. 

With the pace of technological development for next gen sequencing in genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, etc, it may be that many tachniques in microbiology and molecular biology will be obsolete by the time any student can finish a PhD. We are already at the point where  3rd gen sequencing is giving qPCR a run for its money, and you saw how fast PCR did away with Northern and Southern Blots. If you have to learn new techniques for your postdoc, probably  anyone else interested in the job will have to also! I do think some sort of 3rd gen sequencing experience will become increasingly important for postdocs doing anything molecular biology related, and these skill sets seem to be impacting hiring decisions in the univeristies and research institutions I'm familiar with.