Development Anthropology

CAPVol

Hi all,

I just finished my undergrad and am taking a year off to be an AmeriCorps volunteer. I am using this time to look further into grad school opportunities. 

I would really like to go into Development Anthropology and I am just looking for some advice on different schools and programs to look into.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Hmm, I don't know about programs with developmental anthropology, but you should definitely check out universities with an applied approach or some that have applied anthro as a subfield. 

Rather than look for specifically development programs, I think you may be better served in departments with strong economic anthropologists and folks with regional and/or theoretical backgrounds. I would hazard that most professors are familiar with development schemes in their research areas. For example, if you are interested in GaD programs in Ghana, a department with a feminist africanist scholar would be a better choice than someone who studies forest industries and the role of REDD+ in the Amazon.

Yeah, jmu is right. Definitely take into account the region the professors work at when choosing a department. Also, what kind of development? You could work with medical anthropologists, economic anthroplogists (like jmu said), anthropologists focusing on transnational populations, etc.

• 1 month later...

Check out UNC! Arturo Escobar is a god in the Development Anthropology world. He's also quite a vocal critic so if you're interested in the theory of development it may be a good fit for you.