Is there a forum specially for graduate students in sociology?

lydialiu

Gradcafe is a wonderful place to hang out during application season. Now that we are admitted, is there a similar place for sociology students to share and discuss about coursework, researches, publications, professors, job opportunity, and....maybe gossips? You know, the "gradlife" forum within gradcafe does not specify the departments, so it would be great if there is one specially for sociology students. 

Besides, how many of you use researchgate and how do you feel about it? I'm trying to start but it seems a bit messy...

Thank you all!

Lydialiu,

I've only looked at a profile or two on Researchgate, so I'm ignorant of the extent to which it is used for social networking, but I really like academia.edu. There is an area for posting questions at academia.edu as well, but it's not quite the same as having a forum. Wish there were an all-inclusive site.

BTW, I don't recall, did you decide to accept Northwestern's offer?

Yeah the anonymous boards attract quite a bit of trolling and vicious comments, but it's worth it in order to have a place for controversial topics.  We'll see if socjobrumors takes off -- the original site, econjobrumors, gets thousands and thousands of visitors a day.  

I thought about starting a forum for precisely discussion purposes, but I think I'm overestimating the demand for such a resource because I in particular seem to have a strange attraction to the over-discussion of under-developed and incendiary ideas online.  Most graduate students I think fear that kind of exposure early in their careers and don't want to be running around asking stupid questions and saying potentially stupid things in public.  

In any event, there is quite a bit of graduate student activity on the blogs, but you can't post open threads on these, and it seems like there is more blogging and discussion among the quantoids than among qual people -- that again could be a part of my non-representative and selective sampling.