Need help with Div Schools

diaduit90

FWIW, one thing you might consider that I've heard of some people doing that seems to work, is applying for a different masters program elsewhere that is easier to get into, such as an MAT program.  If you do that, you need to work your @$$ off, let absolutely nothing get in the way, and ensure that you have a really good GPA and get stellar LORs out of that as well.  

I was in a similar situation to you coming out of undergrad. Nondenominational and lower than average GPA due to issues with depression. Yet I wanted to do a PhD program at some point(in my case Old Testament). I just started at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary for a few reasons:

1. Seminaries tend to have lower academic requirements.

2. Gordon Conwell lets you cross register for courses at several schools, so you can get a range of conservative and liberal approaches. You can even cross register at HDS which I plan on doing in the spring most likely.

3. Decent language programs. This was important for me since I would like to do PhD level Hebrew.

4. I had a more liberal perspective at Ohio State for undergrad and wanted to mix it up.

They do offer MA in New Testament, but I haven't looked into the current faculty too much since that isn't my degree. They also offer MA in Biblical Languages which I am getting a dual degree in.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone! I just wanted to update the conversation a little bit. I've gone on ahead and applied to Duke, YDS, Emory, Fuller. I should be hearing back from Duke this week and Yale comes up shortly after that.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to update the conversation a little bit. I've gone on ahead and applied to Duke, YDS, Emory, Fuller. I should be hearing back from Duke this week and Yale comes up shortly after that.

If I were you, if you don't get accepted into one of the top schools, I would seriously consider Fuller if you want to study NT.   Joel Green is one of the top NT professors in the country, and a recommendation from him carries a lot of weight - if, you are now in a position to study hard and get good grades, because Fuller generally does not have grade inflation for MAs and MDIvs.  I studied with Dr. Green, as well as Dr. Hays in the ANE studies dept, and got admitted into UCLA.   Fuller's biblical languages sequences are excellent, which will help you avoid the plight of most students who do not demonstrate strong skills in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic coming out of an MA program.  This can be accomplished at Fuller.   

Edited by awells27

I was looking into Fuller's M.Div program, seems they just changed their requirements (I read a few short summaries of the changes, but I don't fully understand the consequences of the changes to the program). This brought me to a new question, would it be more beneficial for me to apply to their M.Div program or their MAT program? Seems if I choose the right electives, I'm actually getting more out of the M.Div program, but I'm still looking into it.

Edited by diaduit90

Going to Fuller means paying Duke-level tuition with an even higher cost of living than Durham. I loved my time there and the NT faculty are fantastic (and there are so many of them!), but it generally isn't worth it to go into massive debt to get an MDiv. 

I was looking into Fuller's M.Div program, seems they just changed their requirements (I read a few short summaries of the changes, but I don't fully understand the consequences of the changes to the program). This brought me to a new question, would it be more beneficial for me to apply to their M.Div program or their MAT program? Seems if I choose the right electives, I'm actually getting more out of the M.Div program, but I'm still looking into it.

Do you see yourself preaching or teaching on the college level?

If you're interested in going on to get a PhD, go with the MAT. It's flexible enough at Fuller that you should be able to get in all the courses you want/need. I would second Kuriakos though. There's no reason to go into substantial debt for either an MDiv or MAT. I also really enjoyed my time at Fuller, and it was good enough to get me into a funded PhD program, but f I had known more about seminaries, div schools, etc. when I was applying, I would've tried to go somewhere else and gotten some or all of it paid for.