Do I Need to Retake

NerwenAldarion

I applied to three grad schools last year for a degree in Forensic anthropology and was rejected by all three (ouch)

I was told by one of them that I was in the top ten percent of applicants but my low Quantitative score was what concerned them. My originals scores were 157 Verbal, 146 Quant

After studying for three months, having one panic attack and generally stressing the point of vomiting. I retook the GRE today and got a 157 Verbal and a 150 Quant. I was hoping for a higher Quantitative to be perfectly honest, I think some of it was me panicking a bit.

I did some research and the schools I want to apply to either don't mention a minimum score or the minimum is exactly 150 Quantitative and Verbal (with one being 145)

I'm wondering if I need to retake the test a third time or if meeting the minimum requirements is enough. I hear so much how the GRE is the least important part but it seems like it is what kept me back last time. 

If it helps, my GPA was a 3.74 and I graduated with an Honors Degree.

I would recommend retaking. It never hurts (if you have time). I strongly recommend Magoosh and Manhattan prep. Depending on how soon you plan to retake, magoosh may be better. 

I would recommend retaking. It never hurts (if you have time). I strongly recommend Magoosh and Manhattan prep. Depending on how soon you plan to retake, magoosh may be better. 

Thank you, how much time should I give to study for it? I studied for about three months this last time using Princeton but obviously that wasn't enough.

Thank you, how much time should I give to study for it? I studied for about three months this last time using Princeton but obviously that wasn't enough.

I would say no later than the end of October (I am assuming that your deadlines are in December?). Have you rewritten your SOP? If you are going to reapply to schools, you probably should send in a different SOP.

I would say no later than the end of October (I am assuming that your deadlines are in December?). Have you rewritten your SOP? If you are going to reapply to schools, you probably should send in a different SOP.

I think two are in December, most are in January or February.

I am currently rewriting my SOP, looking to get some feedback from some of my former professors.

Who is best to contact at these schools? I did some reading and now I know that actually contacting the staff is important, I sort of went into the process blind last time if it isn't obvious. 

I think two are in December, most are in January or February.

I am currently rewriting my SOP, looking to get some feedback from some of my former professors.

Who is best to contact at these schools? I did some reading and now I know that actually contacting the staff is important, I sort of went into the process blind last time if it isn't obvious. 

I will message you. 

I want you to succeed, so I want you to think of this in a practical sense.

If you studied for 3 months, and did not get the scores you want, will another 3 months make drastic improvements?

The answer might be in how you studied for the exam the first time around.  Did you study everyday during the 3 months for a couple hours a day?  Or perhaps did you study a couple times a month for 30 minutes?  Of course I expect you are somewhere inbetween, but the point is, how much did you actually study?

If you studied everyday for hours on end, I think its safe to say, you likely won't improve your score by going to the next gre with the same approach - that is, its not just a matter of needing more time to ace the material, but like an issue with how you are studying the material.  Are you getting stuck on particular problems and not overcoming them?  Are you having trouble with time and pacing yourself?  Perhaps it is an issue of anxiety?

If the issue is not studying enough - will you be able to study more for the next test?  If the issue is how you studied - will you be able to identify and mend the potential issues? 

Think over your course of action carefully, I would hate to see someone study greatly for months on end, score below what they wanted, only to repeat the process

Retake if and only if you have good reason to think you will do markedly better. Don't throw away 185 bucks or whatever plus all the time and money of preparing if you don't put 100% into it. I recommend the online material through Barron's. But in the end, only you can answer this question, because only you really know what the standards are of the schools you are looking at. If you want to go to Princeton, then ya obviously you need to retake but at many other lower ranked schools, these scores might not be damning as long as you give the committee other reasons to believe you are a good applicant. Another thought: stay off grad café until after the test. You absorb some important info the first day or two on here but after that it is useless and a waste of valuable time you could be using for studying. Good luck!!!

Edited by philstudent1991