should i submit GRE scores even if not required?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Note: This is for a master's program in computational linguistics, so math and verbal are probably equally important.

I know this question has been addressed before on this site. I just can't find where. Anyway, there are schools that don't require a GRE, and in these cases people say you could/should submit your scores anyway as long as you think they are impressive enough and will help your overall application. I guess my question is what is impressive enough? Obviously, if your scores are bad/mediocre you shouldn't submit them. And obviously, if your scores are very very good/near perfect you should submit them. But where do you draw the line? For example, a 160 on each is pretty good and many people apply to programs with scores like that. But is that worth submitting your scores even if they're not required? What about a 165 on each? Would submitting scores like this hurt you more than help you since the program doesn't require GRE? 

Some universities specifically mention not to send any GRE score. UCLA linguistics department: 

• Please note that the GRE is NOT required for admission to our program. Please do not submit GRE score reports to us, as they will not be considered.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

a 165 on each wouldnt hurt.....perhaps the query is better addressed if you specify your actual scores....otherwise the answer is a solution to a combinatorial optimization problem.....

I haven't taken the GRE yet, so I don't have any scores. My top school (the one that doesn't require GRE) has a deadline in March, while the other 6 schools are in December and January. I was gonna take the GRE in November to submit to those 6 schools, then if I needed to I would retake it in February to submit to my top school. Now I won't since they don't require it. 

Some universities specifically mention not to send any GRE score. UCLA linguistics department: 

• Please note that the GRE is NOT required for admission to our program. Please do not submit GRE score reports to us, as they will not be considered.

The school makes no mention of GRE. No mention to submit or not to submit. So I asked and they said they don't require GRE. Then I asked if it would be in bad taste to submit a score anyway, and they said I can submit a score if I want but it may or may not be considered. 

the point is you need not "submit" the scores officially....but you can always include them in your CV / Other information / etc. if they are strong.

They don't require a CV/resume either. I'm sure they would take one anyway since they would take a GRE score anyway. But they're not against people submitting GRE scores, so I wouldn't have to put it in my CV/resume. But that's not a bad idea.