Tips for revising seminar papers

I thought I'd ask forum posters if they have any tips on revising a paper (originally written in, e.g., a seminar) into a conference paper. I'm still early in my graduate career with only a couple of presentations, so I'm still learning on the way, and I wonder what advice others have.

You may amend this topic to also include revising into journal-submission papers, but I gather there is already plenty of discussion on editing a journal essay, and it'd be heavily dependent on field and specific publications anyways.

For me, in the case of read papers, I've learned generally to avoid using em-dash independent clauses. They could be great in print, but when spoken, one can almost find a clearer way to rephrase the sentence. I also find it useful to use parenthetical remarks, tucked between paragraphs.

(Then, I can look up when I reach there, and make it sound like I'm commentating off the cuff!)