Are contractions (it's, don't, I'm) a big no-no?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

It might be a dumb question. I haven't started writing my SOP yet, but I'm just curious exactly how "formal" it has to be. Yes, I know how to write scholarly research papers, so I know you'd be a fool to use contractions in something like that. But I don't know about SOPs. I mean, they want to see your "personality", and I just feel more natural typing how it sounds in my head. Most of the SOPs I've seen are overly formal. Maybe this is the norm. Just curious. Any insight would be appreciated. 

It might be a dumb question. I haven't started writing my SOP yet, but I'm just curious exactly how "formal" it has to be. Yes, I know how to write scholarly research papers, so I know you'd be a fool to use contractions in something like that. But I don't know about SOPs. I mean, they want to see your "personality", and I just feel more natural typing how it sounds in my head. Most of the SOPs I've seen are overly formal. Maybe this is the norm. Just curious. Any insight would be appreciated. 

I would say contractions should be avoided. Honestly, your statement of purpose is not the place to show "personality." Personality is not something that AdComs really want. Your statement of purpose is where you articulate your goals and aims as a researcher/scholar, so it should show that you understand the conventions of formal academic writing. It may sound boring, but your SOP should be a professional document that does its best to sell you on a scholarly level more so than a personal level. On that basis, I would say that contractions are out.

I think this might also depend on the field. In STEM fields, I get the sense that SOPs are read for content, not style/structure, so you don't really have to worry about writing your SOP in the "academic writing style". So small differences like "I'm" vs "I am" or inconsistently using American English vs. Canadian/British English spelling would have almost no effect in a science program, in my opinion. 

Basically, I am saying that I think in the sciences, the committee is not going to read the SOP the way your first year English prof/TA would read your essays. It would be very terrible if your grammar or spelling hindered the reader's understanding, and it wouldn't be great if the reader was able to notice many spelling/grammar errors without checking for these errors. But, the odd typo here and there should not be a big deal. I know someone at my current top tier science school that included photographs and fancy fonts/formatting etc. in their SOP. I would not recommend straying from the status quo though, since there is not much to be gained and it's still a bit risky.

I'm not sure if the OP's program would be considered "sciencey" or not, since it's a very interesting mixture! But in any case, I think this might be good to keep in mind for those reading this thread that are in the sciences.

For what it's worth, I wrote my SOP in the same tone as if I was sitting in front of a member of my committee and they asked me "Tell me about your experience" but with an increased amount of formality that comes naturally when you write stuff down instead of speaking it. I definitely did not edit it as much as I would have edited a final term paper for a course or a submission to a journal though. I mostly edited to make sure the information/content I wanted to convey was effectively communicated -- I was not concerned with demonstrating the extent of my writing ability.

Edited by TakeruK

When I write any papers for school or work I avoid using contractions because they are less formal in my opinion.  I don't want them to get to know casual, super fun, laid back me.  I want them to get to know serious professional destined to conduct and publish great research me.  Emails, personal notes, etc I contract as much as I want =)

I've published papers with contractions, no one ever edited them out - not my advisor, not other readers, not reviewers, not editors. No one's ever even mentioned it as a problem. I also read them in other people's papers and I never thought anyone was less professional because they used "it's" instead of "it is." I'm going to go ahead and say that linguistics programs are not going to care too much one way or the other, as long as (as others mentioned) the tone is professional.