Superscoring the GRE?

leeanneuh

Hey everyone!

I recently took the GRE and did very well on the writing and math, but more on the poor side when it came to the verbal section. I plan on taking the GRE again, but I'm not sure I can ever do as well on the writing section as I did on my first try (5.5). When you do the score select option, is it like superscoring? Can I pick and choose my best scores and ONLY send those scores, so the grad schools will see the scores as if it was only one test? I hope I'm explaining this well.

Thanks!

My understanding is that you can choose which test results you want to send by date, but you cannot send sections of each test individually. For instance, you can send all results from test 1, all results from test 2, or all results from both but you cannot send AW and Q from test 1 and V from test 2. For what it's worth, most programs will only be interested in your highest scores anyway and will not likely care if your AW score dips a bit on the second attempt.

you cannot choose sections of different tests to report, but there are some universities which take into account only your highest scores in each section if you have taken the test more than once :)

Edited by Arezoo

NYluie is correct.  You can only send whole test dates (i.e., you can't mix and match).  However, you can send multiple test dates, and as Arezoo points out, each school handles multiple scores differently when receiving multiple reports.  The best thing to do is to call the schools you are interested and hear how they handle them (you can do this anonymously so don't worry about it impacting your application).

Here is a post I wrote explaining the all the ScoreSelect policies. http://www.manhattanprep.com/gre/blog/index.php/2012/04/25/gre-news-scoreselect-and-how-it-helps-you/  It may clarify things for you a bit further.  I hope that helps!

Best,

Taylor