Do I need more research experience in my field or do I just need research experience when I apply to graduate school?

Background: I'm a senior at a sister school of University of Texas at Austin. I'm majoring in biochemistry, and I want to eventually do cancer research (most specifically, understand biochemical mechanisms related to cancer or cancer drug development/characterization). I've attempted to do research my freshman and sophomore years, but both failed... I got nothing out of it. My junior summer, I was accepted into the McNair Scholars program (which is for underrepresented and/or low income students). I conducted bioengineering research all summer, wrote a research paper, had my research published in my school's McNair Research Journal, and presented in front of faculty members. I will be going to 2 conferences in the fall to present my research. My GPA is a 3.80. I have teaching experience and received a handful of accolades.

Problems:
1. I have NO biochemistry research background, but I want to get a biochemistry Ph.D. or maybe a pharmaceutical science Ph.D.  I know a professor at my school who did his undergraduate research in physical chemistry, but ended up with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry. So maybe I am okay?

2. I only have 1 summer of real research, but in bioengineering. 

Questions:
Should I switch to a biochemistry lab my senior year even though I have established good relationships in my bioengineering lab? I've talked to my mentor about this and he said it's up to me.

Do I even have a chance of getting into biochemistry/pharmaceutical Ph.D. programs ranked +10?
Such as
UC Boulder, UW in Seattle, and UT Austin (dream school)

Please let me know what y'all think! It would really help. :)

I would say, in general, bioengineering is fine. Depends on exactly what area, but most of the work should be translatable. 

I'd worry more about the fact that you only have a summer of research experience. At my not-close-to top ranked school, most of our incoming graduate students had several solid years of research experience. 

Generally, top programs (all programs, really) are looking for graduate students that can be given a lab space and a problem and get to work without a lot of oversight. So a strong research background, both in actual techniques and in the ability to direct your projects is key. 

I would say, in general, bioengineering is fine. Depends on exactly what area, but most of the work should be translatable. 

I'd worry more about the fact that you only have a summer of research experience. At my not-close-to top ranked school, most of our incoming graduate students had several solid years of research experience. 

Generally, top programs (all programs, really) are looking for graduate students that can be given a lab space and a problem and get to work without a lot of oversight. So a strong research background, both in actual techniques and in the ability to direct your projects is key. 

I know my research experience is more than lackluster. I've been in different labs every summer, and I've tried to gain research experience. Things just came up or the professor just threw me in the lab and was too busy to talk to me/would make appointments to meet me and never showed up on multiple accounts.

Anyways, I'm going to try to make the best of the situation. In the fall, I will be visiting these graduate schools due to conferences/paid for graduate school visitation. I've scoped out who I want to talk to/want to potentially work with. Hopefully, I'll impress them enough... :(