1 extra semester or 2 to finish masters? Does it matter?

maggiemay

Hello all,

So first of all, I am starting my third year as a masters student in biology. I was planning on graduating in December, so this would just mean that it took me 1 extra semester to graduate. However, due to some equipment failures and science problems in general, I think I should push back my graduation to the spring of 2014. I may be able to get everything done by december but it would be less chaotic and down to the wire if I push it back a semester.

My questions is, do you think it looks bad to have taken a full extra year to get your masters. I am worried that phd programs will wonder why it took me a year longer than "normal". I go to school with a lot of people who are in their 3rd year or even 4th for their masters, so I wonder if this is common for masters students, especially those in the sciences, to take longer than 2 years for a thesis based masters.

Do you think potential PIs at phd programs will think I am not a hard worker for taking an extra year? Or that it makes me look lazy...

Thanks again!

Hi MaggieMay, I think it could go either way. On the one hand, I have heard that some POIs associate completing a degree more quickly as a sign of dedication and determination and as indication that you will be able to navigate through a PhD in a timely fashion. On the other hand, I have had a number of friends finish their master's degree part time, take a semester off, or take an extra semester to finish their thesis / research, and they haven't had any major difficulties in getting into a PhD program. The key there though for them was narrating in their personal statements why they took the extra time. If you can narrate your thought process and decision making process in your statement, I think you should be set. Personally, I would try to make a decision that would enable you to flourish as a student. If taking that extra semester ultimately will make you less stressed and more confident in your overall work, that might be the best choice for you. What about finances though? Can you afford the extra semester of tuition?

Can we really say there is a *normal* timeframe to finish a Master's anymore?  With so many programs being part time, online only, aimed at working adults, etc there are a variety of timeframes for people to finish.  There will always be people that finish in 1-2 years because they are able to devote all their time to it, have the funding, and are driven to do that.  There will always be people that finish in 5+ years because their responsibilities differ, their funding may be limited, and regardless they're still driven to finish.  There will always be people who finish somewhere in between.

If YOU feel that adding an extra semester will allow you to complete your work thoroughly then do that.  If you rush, don't get the results you want, and end up with subpar work then potential PI's at PhD programs will wonder why you were rushing.  You can address the extra semester in your SOP by stating you wanted the quality of your work to be the best it could be and that would not have happened had you not added the extra time. 

My guess is the people who will judge your decision are more likely to be your peers.  I just had a similar experience myself when chatting with a classmate in my Master's program.  The program can be done in 3 semesters and several students have done that, graduated, and hope to go into PhD programs.  She is doing that and was appalled to hear I'll be taking 5 semesters to finish.  I extended my graduation date to add a certificate program, establish better relationships with professors, and to conduct research.  For me that made perfect sense and I'm happy with my decision because I have more stuff to put on my cv, broader knowledge, and will have much better LORs.  Since those are all positive gains I think potential PI's at PhD programs will see that favorably.   

Thank you both for your responses! I have another question that you may have some advice on...

So my program requires 30 hours to graduate. If I finish in Decemeber then I will actually have 38 hours. I have more than what is required because when I started the program it was really unorganized and I was told to take 2 classes that I really didnt need.  Since I am a TA, I have to have at least 6 credits to be considered full time, so I can teach.  So, if I stay another semester (graduate in spring 2014) and take the 1 credit thesis extension + 5 additional research credits (so I can have 6 and teach) this will put me at 44 credits.

I have heard from other students and from reading online that it is frowned upon having more credits then what is required. I have heard that programs will question why you took so many classes. Has anyone heard that before? Also, is that something I should mention inmy SOP?

Yes I've heard that before, from my peers.  Nice people, but not the experts on PhD programs lol.  When I talked to PhD programs or professors what they've said is that there needs to be a strong link between the extra units and my future plans.  If I took extra classes in medieval art when I want to be a Clinical Psychologist that makes no sense so yes it would be questioned.  Now taking extra courses of research or on populations I intend to work with makes perfect sense and can be explained in a sentence or two of my SOP.  Like you I will also have extra units, but they're all completely relevant to my future goals.  Some PhD programs or professors might think this is odd or completely unacceptable, but guess what?  I don't want to work with them.  If they don't get that I willingly took on extra work to make myself better prepared for my future career then they aren't the kind of mentors I want. 

I completed a thesis based masters in 2 years while working full time. So.....if you do take more time than the average you should probably explain why it took the additional time. Programs are going to wonder if it will take you 7+ years to finish a PhD.