Game Design School Choices, Help?

roxxii

Hello everyone, I am looking to apply to a school that specializes in game design or a program with a new media feel, with a preferrable balance between design and programming. Haven't taken GRE's yet, GPA is 3.6. I didn't do well on my SATs (under 1800), so I don't have much hope for an above-average GRE score. I went to RIT for game design and development, so I have more of a computing background as opposed to an aesthetical design one (art schools are pretty intimidating).

This list is based off of the Princeton Review and animationcareers top choices for game design.

The schools I have been looking at are:

Carnegie Mellon - I like their balance between design and programming, this is my top choice, but getting in is the problem.

NYU - very similar to RIT's undergraduate program, but I am excited to be working with a fresh new set of minds. Also much closer to home.

USC - I've heard its difficult to get in. The cirriculum looks more new-media with the optional game-geared elective classes.

MIT - I can't get in. That's about it. The program itself is new-media based, like USC.

SCAD - I fell in love with all their course descriptions, and is my no. 2 choice, but I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Parsons - There seem to be a lot of theory classes in the cirriculum and it's heavily new-media without much opportunities to explore more in the game design feild, but it's a 30-minute drive from home so I have mixed feelings about this.

Safe schools:

Drexel - a focus on 3D modeling, animation, and interactivity. I would prefer a little more programming thrown in.

RIT - It doesn't feel like an extension of the undergrad program, rather a repeat of it.

DigiPen - Many mixed reviews about this, they are very divided. They have a MFA in Digital arts and a MS in CS; both are geared towards the production of video games, but they do not appear to collaborate or allow room for overlap.

Utah  - afforadable! But mixed reviews about how it's a commuter school, anyone spare some insight on this?

My main questions are:

What is the likelihood of getting into the schools I am looking at (I'll probably try applying for all of them except MIT)?

What other choices do people recommend?

Thanks!

Edited by roxxii

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 3/7/2019 at 9:44 AM, Boopbeepboop said:

So just bumping onto this thread. I was recently accepted to the Interactive Media and Games Division mfa at USC and the game design mfa at NYU Tisch. I'm planning on visiting both schools, but does anyone have any thoughts on either of these programs?

I've been doing some research into this as well.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either of those programs.

USC's program is great, and it's also very close to lots of big studios, though it's MFA program is a little less renowned than their undergrad program. It is also a three year program as opposed to two years, which means it's more expensive. But it's also better if you think you might want to remain in academia.

NYU is a much newer program, but they brought in a ton of talent from the games industry, including Bennett Foddy who made QWOP and Getting Over It, and they've already made a name for themselves as one of the best MFAs out there, ranking number 2 on Princeton Review.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go NYU, but you really can't go wrong.