Georgia Tech

chagrined

I still haven't heard from Georgia Tech, UC Santa Barbara, or Cornell. I was looking at the status page on Georgia Tech's website and it says "Decisions on Completed Applications May 31." Does this mean that they can notify you as late as May 31? Georgia Tech was one of my top choices, but I have already been accepted to a couple of other colleges that want to know my decision by April 15th. This creates a real problem for me. Do you think it would be okay to contact the department I'm applying to and explain my dilemma to see if they can give me my decision earlier?

• 2 weeks later...
I still haven't heard from Georgia Tech, UC Santa Barbara, or Cornell. I was looking at the status page on Georgia Tech's website and it says "Decisions on Completed Applications May 31." Does this mean that they can notify you as late as May 31? Georgia Tech was one of my top choices, but I have already been accepted to a couple of other colleges that want to know my decision by April 15th. This creates a real problem for me. Do you think it would be okay to contact the department I'm applying to and explain my dilemma to see if they can give me my decision earlier?

Hi. So I am in my second year at Tech. This year we met with the new recruits a month - 2 months back. I believe, at least for my program, that decisions were made shortly thereafter. When I got my acceptance letter 2 years ago I'd responded by the first week in April. I would contact them... For what program did you apply? And good luck either way!

Thanks Sam. I applied to Georgia Tech's Electrical Engineering department with an emphasis on VLSI and FPGA. I've been accepted to 4 other colleges, but Georgia Tech was my number one choice. I sent an email to the ECE department two days ago, but I haven't heard anything. I thought about emailing the professor I wanted to work with, but I have not communicated with him before, other than meeting him at a lecture he gave. I realize that I should have networked better now. Anyway, I suppose my chances are pretty bleak at this point.

Thanks Sam. I applied to Georgia Tech's Electrical Engineering department with an emphasis on VLSI and FPGA. I've been accepted to 4 other colleges, but Georgia Tech was my number one choice. I sent an email to the ECE department two days ago, but I haven't heard anything. I thought about emailing the professor I wanted to work with, but I have not communicated with him before, other than meeting him at a lecture he gave. I realize that I should have networked better now. Anyway, I suppose my chances are pretty bleak at this point.

Until they respond, I think the only thing you may be able to do is to call. Here is my reasoning:

So I am in the School of Biology. If I had sent an email to the Chair of the Grad Committee he may have been able to respond quickly or reasonably, but he has students working for him, too, and on top of that he has all of our stuff to sort out. If I had sent an email to the head of the SOB, he probably wouldn't have been able to respond (assuming he doesn't have a secretary taking care of all of this for him) because he is a very busy man and can't really stop to research something like an admission or rejection. We have two awesome people we go to for anything. The first is a person who is our initial advisor if we join the program but do not select an initial faculty member to work with, while the second is an awesome lady in charge of handling any questions we have about the grad program. That is what they are there for - and I spent plenty of time in their offices prior to matriculation to ensure that I was completely set with everything I needed. That was my networking. :-) But if that helps, that is who you should be contacting. I would assume ECE has the same structure if not more people to assist with your issues, you know? I wouldn't be looking for a secretary or the head of anything and maybe not even an admissions department. I would go to Academic Assistants. If you've already done this, then... just be hopeful. Otherwise there's really not much else you can do. I happen to be from Georgia, so I drove my butt to Atlanta to get answers to my questions -- if it's possible for you, you should do the same. :-) Good luck!

I guess all ECE applicants got a mail that there is no point in contacting them regarding the status of the application. However, in the mail they also mentioned that the status of application will be updated electronically by April 10th. The date has passed and still I have not heard from them yet.....

I would be eager to know if anyone else facing the same issue and what they plan to do about ?

In fact I am still to hear a word from 6 other universities.......Its a frustrating wait!!!