Anthropology & linguistics undergrad and masters-> Psychology PhD

Washoe

To make a long story short short, I did my undergrad and masters in anthropology, but there two Psychology programs and POIs I that really fit my reasearch interest, even though I always regarded it an anthropologic one.

I know that this is a bit of a stretch, but the programs are not clinical ones, but more on the lines of brain-behaviur-cognitive studies.

Both POIs do primate research and focus on communication, so the way I see it, I am not a total misfit. 

Am I completely in the wrong or is it possible for me to stress the positive aspects of my  majors for this kind of research?ž

Also, not many people in their departments work on  projects like that, so is it unadvisable to apply to a department where you have only one POI?

I apologize if my question is a bit daft, it's a cultural thing, I assume, because in my present higher education system, psychology  departments are very strict and only psychology undergrads may apply, and the whole process of application is very different.

Research fit is huge in grad school, especially in psychology programs; sounds like you definitely have that. I think it's worth applying. The only place you might run into issues is if they have any prerequisite classes that you haven't taken (Intro to Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, etc).

I would suggest e-mailing your POI to establish a line of communication now.

It's not uncommon to have only one POI at a university; even the non-clinical specialties of psychology tend to have a mentorship model, so you primarily work with just the one person.\

(Not daft questions, either  :) )

That's great to hear! I'm starting sending e-mails  next week, so we'll see what the POIs say, I just didn't want to bother them if if switching fields was completely out of the question. Thank you for your reply!

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I know someone who majored in History in undergrad who just graduated from a top Psychology PhD program last year and was the #1 most competitive candidate on the job market (academic positions at prestigious R1 institutions). It can happen! :)