University of Michigan MSW program application 2013

U-M_Detroiter

Hi all,

I am applying to U of M's MSW program next month, and was curious as to who else is planning on applying?

My stats: 3.3 overall gpa, 3.7 major gpa, I graduate this spring with my B.S. in psychology. 3 years working at a geriatric health campus, have been continuously volunteering at hospitals, for the american cancer society, fit kids 360, and various campus programs since graduating high school. I am also a research assistant and have presented at local and national conferences. I plan on concentrating in social policy and evaluation with health as my practice area. 

Other schools I'm applying to: University of Washington, Wayne State University, Eastern Michigan University, and maybe UPenn. I am most interesting in policy analysis as I love statistics and research in addition to social work. 

I am very nervous about getting into UM as I hear it is very competitive. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there. I got into UM and was offered deferred admission to begin next year, which I've accepted, so I can say a little about it. First, definitely apply early, although it seems like you've got that covered. I had my application in literally on the priority deadline (that's super late, March 1), and was initially waitlisted. That sucked, because I already had a Master's and had done very well in that program. I expected to just get in, and I probably would have had I applied early.

That's the biggest thing. Your experience looks good. The GPA is slightly low, but UM only looks at the last 60 hours, so if you've done better there then you're in good shape. Even if you haven't it doesn't seem like that's a deal-breaker. Honestly, I can't really say for sure what anyone's chances are like. They have had a major spike in applications in the last couple of years, coinciding not coincidentally with their #1 ranking. Stay in touch with the department, especially if you get waitlisted. This is a program that does seem to value people who want to be there.

Thanks for the input! When they calculate GPA for the last 60 hours is that from the point I apply or the last 60 hours after graduation? 

I would assume from the point that you apply since that's all the information you'll be able to give them at the time. But, I'm sure you can send an updated transcript with your Fall '13 semester grades if you want to sometime in December. They'll still be evaluating everything at that point.

Thanks again. I have met with an admission counselor once already, but I have so many more questions now that I have started and completed (at the moment) my applications materials, so I am hoping to make another visit to the SSW.