UIUC vs UMich

MaximKat

Probably one more topic of this kind which stay unanswered for most part, but I'll give it a try.

I'm choosing PhD programs. UIUC is funded, I'll know about UMich in a couple of days (if it is not funded, it is out of competition anyway, so let's assume that it is and the amount is probably more or less comparable)

Location is better for UMich, whereas UIUC is higher ranked (Yes, I know what everybody think about rankings. Still, I don't have a lot of info, so have to rely on what is available). COL is lower in Urbana-Champaign. I also heard that UIUC has very competitive atmoshpere (in a bad way)

My interest is in machine learning and programming languages. Any comments will be appreciated.

This is somewhat amusing, since i was going through the same thing last year. My field is mobile systems and security and I ended up at U-M, since it fits better research wise. If you have specific questions about U-M, I could answer them, but I can't compare the machine learning fields as well. Try to look at the research going on and see where you think you'd fit in better.

I was admitted to UIUC and five others (including Minn, Wisc, Purdue (Big 10 schools) ). Although I did not apply to UMich. My understanding is that UIUC is a fantastic program, especially in machine learning. Several of the UIUC professors are the worlds best in Machine Learning and they are flush with cash.

Although I have not been to UMich. I would say that this is an easy decision: go to UIUC.