How specific should I write my research plan in SOP?

Hello everyone, and thanks for all in advance.

I am Chem major, and I'm trying to include my future plans for research when I begin studying in grad school. But I don't know how specific they should be.

I have clear point of interest, and there are tons of floating ideas in my head, but none of them is immediately realizable unless I do extensive amount of research.

So, what I want to ask you is, should I include those specific ideas in my SOP to show I am capable of developing research topics on my own, or should I be more vague about my research plans so that I avoid troubles from suggesting false or inplausible ideas?

Please help!

Edited by Fresco

• 2 weeks later...

In Psychology, it's been suggested that the overarching theme of the SOP should be "I will be an awesome fit in XYZ lab because_________," tying in your past experience, your current skills, and your goals for the future. That suggestion may vary for other disciplines. Ask your adviser, perhaps?

Well, how about.. what would you be unhappy to not be allowed to study? Mention that it's one of the areas of major interest for you. That way, if they reject you because it's a poor fit, it's a poor fit. Instead of implying "omg i'll only study.." when it's not something you aren't so adamant about.

If you're wide open, tell them you're wide open - but these are areas you've already found yourself drawn to.

Don't be too specific unless asked otherwise.  You should give a broad area of research (or maybe two areas) in which you are interested, but not a specific project necessarily.  For example, I think I said I was interested in the impact of the media on Black adolescent sexual behavior - something in that realm of specificity.  Nowadays I might write that I am interested in the impact of prejudice and discrimination on the mental health of African Americans.

Nobody expects you to have a fully realized project yet.

I think it's pretty hard to come up with a solid research plan straight in your SOP. It's definitely not a bad thing, but being too specific might make the potential supervisors a bit uncomfortable as they'd judge whether the research plan is something that fits with their own interests, thinking and ideas. So I guess the point is to strike the right balance ?