For those already in the MSW program, can you tell me about papers you write in class?

dreamwithguts

I am an undergrad hoping to get an MSW at NYU in about two years, but I am not sure if I'm prepared for the amount of workload there will be..specifically paper writing.

Will some MSW students be so kind as to give me more insight into the workload?

specifically..

-approximate number and frequency of papers due in each class per semester

-approximate LENGTH (# of pages) of each paper

- what are the papers about? research material? opinions? something else?

Thank you tons!

You can search this board because the question has been asked before, but if you are determining whether or not to go to grad school because of the work load, then you probably shouldn't go to grad school. Expect to write and read a lot. If your program doesn't have you doing much of either, then you aren't getting a quality degree.

I think that this answer will vary from school to school. But at my current school we have 5 papers due in the first semester that need to be 20 pages each. Perhaps you could email the schools you are interested in and ask if there are any students currently in the program that you could email to ask questions about the program, such as an elected student representative of the social work department.

If you find the workload is too busy to juggle with the other responsibilities you have in your life, you may want to consider part time studies or online studies (if commuting time is an issue).

I believe this is a valid concern for many people entering graduate school. My current MSW program requires a lot of reading and writing. I typically read 300-400 pages a week and always have writing assignments due. I have a few lengthy papers due this semester, but it's definitely manageable if you have decent time management skills.

It's intense if you're full-time because you are having to juggle several classes at once, but I'm sure you would be fine!

Good luck!!!

I agree with what was said above.  It varies, but at USC, I had seven papers due the first semester (taking two classes)--all in APA.  I only did one APA paper in undergrad, so that was my biggest struggle.  Length and content wise?  I'd say 10-20 pages depending on the subject.  Be prepared to give your stance on policy issues and have the backbone to stand behind it.  Sometimes it's more about getting your view/opinion out there and backing it up more than anything else.

I'm just starting but from what I can tell, there is A LOT of work. It consists of reading, monster essays, presentations, and some reflective papers. My feeling is that although it is a bit mind numbing to look at it now, once you get going, it should be manageable. I mean, many people have managed before us and will manage after us. Also important, there doesn't seem to be any tests so when you are doing your readings, you will not need to take as detailed notes as you would for a course with content exams.