Got a call and STILL waiting.. feedback plz

KayOwd

hi,

so a week ago i got an email from a prof (not previously indicated as a supervisor candidate on my app) asking to schedule a telephone interview.

in the interview i am asked about my master's project. she then tells me about this prospective project etc. she gives me resources to do a little more investigation on the opportunity and tells me to contact her in a couple days when i've had time to think things over.

a couple days later i send the prof an email with some additional questions. in response to one of my questions she replies that she cannot accept me into the program (only the school of grad studies can) but that she can offer her recommendation. HOWEVER, turns out she also hasn't completely review my transcripts and ref letters--she says she will do this shortly. her review will determine her recommendation.

i send her another email thanking her for addressing my questions and tell her i am interested in the program/research opportunity and would like instructions on next steps, should my application gain her recommendation.

this was almost two days ago. still waiting for word.

**has anyone been in this situation?** what was the outcome? what are your thoughts, generally?

note: my application exceeds the requirements for entry and some. my profile aligns well with the proposed program and research, but in these "tough economic times" i'm worried about sgs. im not coming in with money. program guarantees funding, but sources vary on a case by case basis... whatever that means. :?:

we don't know you, your program's procedures, or that professor. no one here can give you any real advice on predicting your outcome in this particular situation. you will simply have to wait.

good luck!

hi, thanks for the reply. to clarify, im not really looking for advice. im just curious to hear if anyone has experienced a similar situation and what happened.

i agree with you. all i can really do is wait.

cheers,

ko

hi, thanks for the reply. to clarify, im not really looking for advice. im just curious to hear if anyone has experienced a similar situation and what happened.

i agree with you. all i can really do is wait.

cheers,

ko

Hi,

Well one of my schools works in the same way. A prof from the department reviews your app and decides whether orn ot to reccomend you to the chair. Once the chair gives the go, the rec goes to the graduate school, who makes the final decision. Most likely if the dept. has given the thumbs up, the school will follow.

But thats my experience at least.

Hope that helps!

I say give it a little bit more time. Two days doesn't offer one much time to do everything one might need to for a situation like this, when you're a full-time faculty member during graduate student admissions season. Additionally, she may not have reviewed your material until the day after your last correspondence, and then may have taken another day/night to "sleep on it." And she might still have other applicants to speak with and provide a recommendation for, and may be limited in the number of recommendations she can offer given the number of slots they have (I know I like to see what all of my options are when making a weighty decision at least). If the recommendation is positive and you're in, then the graduate school would give you your "next steps" in their acceptance letter in terms of saying yes to the offer, tuition deposits, possibly finding financial aid, etc. etc. And if not, then... well, there aren't really any steps that need to be taken, eh?

Bear in mind that this is coming from person having no similar experience; it's simply his personal assessment of the situation as an outsider. :lol:

Is this Dalla Lana by any chance?

no, this is a different school. I'm still waiting for word from DL. my guess is that first week of April a letter will come from them.

good luck