Do I Measure Up?

hannah0322

Hi everyone!  I posted a few weeks ago about my raw scores, and now I have gotten my official scores of the GRE.  I am looking to apply to clinical psychology programs (PhD and PsyD Clinical), as well as a few Master's in General Psych programs (in order to retake the test again and bump up my score if I don't get into any doctoral programs) and a few Master's Mental Health Counseling (terminal LPC programs).  I feel so confused, because most people seem to be making the "average" the schools mention, but some other people seem to get in with some outlying scores, if they have a compelling and solid application in other areas.  None of the programs I am applying to mention a hard minimum, but they mention averages on their full disclosures.  I am not sure if I make the cut - HELP!!

My Scores: V: 151, Q: 143, Writing 4.5

Psych Test, I'm taking in October, but so far I'm scoring very high on the practice tests.

I have a 8.730 at a research state school, three (four by this spring) semesters as an RA in a really good research lab with good grad school faculty members, pending poster project for research lab, pending publication into a professional journal of my clinical internship experience, two para-professional mental health jobs, two clinical internships (one mental health, one school-based), three honors societies, clinical fieldwork with the graduate school affiliated with my university, two volunteering positions, one mentoring program, and an independent research study following the mentoring program I am currently in.

I am also getting outstanding letters of recommendation and think I have pretty strong personal statements (tailoring each one to "fit" faculty members of each program I'm applying to).

Clinical PhD:

- CUNY City College

- Adelphi University

- Fairleigh Dickinson

Clinical PsyD:

- Rutgers (long-shot, but I work with a lot of faculty members from GSAPP and my LORs are from them)

- LIU CW Post

- Yeshiva

- Chestnut Hill

Counseling PhD:

- Seton Hall University

Master's Psychology (pre-doc programs):

- New School

- Columbia

- Hunter College

Master's Mental Health (terminal LPC programs):

- NYU (no GRE required)

- Fordham (no GRE required)

- TCNJ

- Monmouth University

I am going to be completely shut out of the doctoral programs?  Has anyone here gotten into these schools or know anyone who has been accepted into any of these programs with a lower GRE score?  I don't have the time to re-study and re-take the GRE now, and have it making a large, increasing impact on my scores.  If I don't get into the doctoral programs, but I get into the one/two year pre-doc programs, I will certainly have the time to study and re-take it before re-applying the following year.  What do you all think?

Thanks!!

Your Quant is low for Clinical PhDs, not going to lie. Your publications will help more than your clinical/volunteering experience - a PhD is a research degree, no getting around it, even if all you want it for is clinical practice. From your school list, it appears that you're limiting yourself to the NYC metro area; I would suggest expanding your range, especially if you intend to go on for a PhD. Are you a good research fit with specific POIs at those schools? Keep in mind that, if you do get into a PhD program - now, or after getting a Master's - it is very, very unlikely that you will be able to complete your schooling, internship, and post-doc in the same area.

• 2 weeks later...

Your Quant is low for Clinical PhDs, not going to lie. Your publications will help more than your clinical/volunteering experience - a PhD is a research degree, no getting around it, even if all you want it for is clinical practice. From your school list, it appears that you're limiting yourself to the NYC metro area; I would suggest expanding your range, especially if you intend to go on for a PhD. Are you a good research fit with specific POIs at those schools? Keep in mind that, if you do get into a PhD program - now, or after getting a Master's - it is very, very unlikely that you will be able to complete your schooling, internship, and post-doc in the same area.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I have made sure to write extremely personalized and "fitting" personal statements for each school I am applying to.  I am also getting amazing LORs (thankfully!) - one from a distinguished clinical faculty member who clinically supervised me and is also supervising my pending publication, one from a distinguished faculty member of the clinical graduate program who I do research under, and one from a clinical faculty member I am doing a clinical fieldwork under right now. I'm hoping that a really extensive CV, great statements, and great LORs at least get me bumped on a waitlist, if not a regular admission (I have no shame about waitlists)!!  

I thought a lot about applying out of the tri-state area, and although I wish I could, it's not feasible with my personal life circumstances right now to move far.  I am going to look into some further out schools in PA, though.

Does anyone here no applicants who had lower GRE scores but awesome statements and LORs and experience and got into programs?