Considering Applying for a Neuroscience PhD Program- Worth it?

Cici Beanz

Hi All,

I am currently finishing up an MS in Biomedical Anthropology and will be returning to the NY Metro area next spring after graduation.  The original plan had been to immediately look for a full-time job, but since one of the major career paths I've been considering is research the idea of a PhD program has started to creep into my brain.  I switched from Psych (undergrad) to Anthro for a number of reasons that are probaby beyond the scope of this intro, but suffice it to say that  some of my research interests (physiology of chronic and traumatic stress, neuroendocrinology in general) are very much relevent to both disciplines. I could probably to interesting (to me) work if I stayed put and did an Bio Anth doctorate where I am now, but I would really like a change of scenery and would like to be closer to my family.  I know that locations should not be a major factor when it comes to choosing programs, but when you have NYC in your backyard there tends to be more options than in most other places...

Anyway, I'm sorry this is so rambly.  The bottom line is that I need some advice on whether or not a neuro phd is potentially a worthwhile investment, and if you think it is I could use a recommendation or two for schools within about an hour commute of north Jersey.  :)

Hi All,

I am currently finishing up an MS in Biomedical Anthropology and will be returning to the NY Metro area next spring after graduation.  The original plan had been to immediately look for a full-time job, but since one of the major career paths I've been considering is research the idea of a PhD program has started to creep into my brain.  I switched from Psych (undergrad) to Anthro for a number of reasons that are probaby beyond the scope of this intro, but suffice it to say that  some of my research interests (physiology of chronic and traumatic stress, neuroendocrinology in general) are very much relevent to both disciplines. I could probably to interesting (to me) work if I stayed put and did an Bio Anth doctorate where I am now, but I would really like a change of scenery and would like to be closer to my family.  I know that locations should not be a major factor when it comes to choosing programs, but when you have NYC in your backyard there tends to be more options than in most other places...

Anyway, I'm sorry this is so rambly.  The bottom line is that I need some advice on whether or not a neuro phd is potentially a worthwhile investment, and if you think it is I could use a recommendation or two for schools within about an hour commute of north Jersey.  :)

So many things to stay to this.

First, it is possible to switch to anthro to psych- I know people who have done it quite successfully.

Second, nobody is going to do your program leg work for you. Programs have to be a great fit- the size, the other students/faculty, the professors, and lastly, your advisor's research. It can take weeks/months to finalize a list of programs and advisors, and being limited geographically will make that even harder. I'd pick up a few "neuroscience grad programs" books (hopefully they exist) and read through the introduction chapters about what you should be looking for when choosing a neuroscience grad progam, and they should also have a list of programs in there for you to browse.

Third, the quality of life is going to be incredibly different- not to mention the time committment to that life- between having a job and getting your PhD. This shouldn't be something you just do because it sounds interesting. Talk to current grad students and read about grad school, etc. The application process is emotionally grueling, as well as grad school itself, which is usually 4-6 years (not entirely sure for neuroscience how long it would take).

So overall: start doing your homework. We can't do that part for you, because it's the most important step. Also, consider how important getting a PhD is to you, and try to be as geographically open as possible.

On the good side, neuroscience programs are often very diverse with who they admit as I don't think there really exists standard undergrad degrees in neuroscience.

On the down side, if you are thinking job wise, neuroscience ph.ds might be at a slight disadvantage in that while you are very well equipped to do research, teaching wise you might be limited as again there really isn't a standard undergrad in neurosceince.  One good aspect about psych is while the degree has many limitations, psychology is one of the most popular undergraduate majors, meaning that at least the field is healthy in terms of needing instructors for universities, colleges, community schools etc.  I don't think quite the same could be said of neuroscience.

On the good side, neuroscience programs are often very diverse with who they admit as I don't think there really exists standard undergrad degrees in neuroscience.

On the down side, if you are thinking job wise, neuroscience ph.ds might be at a slight disadvantage in that while you are very well equipped to do research, teaching wise you might be limited as again there really isn't a standard undergrad in neurosceince.  One good aspect about psych is while the degree has many limitations, psychology is one of the most popular undergraduate majors, meaning that at least the field is healthy in terms of needing instructors for universities, colleges, community schools etc.  I don't think quite the same could be said of neuroscience.

Exactly- the career path will look very different if you get a PhD versus if you don't, and the PhD path isn't one I'd suggest lightly- psychology OR neuroscience. Worst case, you spend a thousand plus dollars applying (application fees, transcript fees, GRE fees, interview outfits, travel/host costs), get into a program, and a year or two later you realize this isn't what you want to commit to. And then you stick it out a few more years, miserable and hating life and not being able to spend much time with family despite being close, only to realize that the types of jobs you can get with your PhD are very different than what you want.

I'm not saying this will happen- just that your original post was very noncommittal. Start with the career you want and work backwards. What do you see yourself doing on a day-to-day basis? Then think about what you're willing to sacrifice to get there. Location? Money? A dependable career?

I'd highly suggest taking a year or two to work as an RA or RC within neuroscience or a related field. Spend that time researching programs and career paths.

Good luck!

Another option is neuropsych. Career prospects are fantastic for pure research, research/practitioner, and research/teach/practitioner. 

Exactly! I am currently doing a cognition and neuroscience master's degree while being a graduate research intern in neuropsychology at UT Southwestern. I went into this master's program with no prior coursework in neuroscience or cognition (I know only what I learned in my psychology minor since I was a sociology major). I knew that I wanted to distribute 60% of my time to practicing what I will/ have learned and the other 40 on researching. I knew that I was really fascinated with neuroscience and psychology. I knew that much of today's research for future psychotherapeutic remedies is heavily vested in cognition or cognitive science. So, I wanted to somehow combine this whole mess of things into something that I could practice (psychology) as well as apply in-depth knowledge on the neuroscience behind behavior and pathology (cog-neuroscience). 

I think the medical anthropology provides a good, and I would even say unique approach to understanding human and societal behavior. One topic that you could really look into is social cognition or social cognitive-neuroscience. This could combine the aspects of society and individual behavior in terms of neurological constructs and development. Again, really stressing what you find to be the most interesting thing to study and what you can see yourself committed to for a long time is key (the "fit).