Can anyone help clarify this? (journal preference for submitted papers)

So I'm starting to work on a manuscript for potentially my first publication in a small journal (gotta start somewhere),

anyways, in the 'call for papers' advertisement, it states, "Briefer papers of less than 14 pages will exceptionally be considered for this special issue".

Now, this is probably going to sound dumb, but someone else in my lab read it differently that led to some confusion. From what I got from the sentence was that papers of less than 14 pages will be considered most/prefered. However, the other person said that it could mean that in regards to papers that are less than 14 pages, only those that are exceptional will be considered.

Now I'm doubting what I thought it supposedly meant. Any clarification so I can put this thing to rest and get started would be great.

Edited by HYHY02

I understand that such short papers are not normally considered by this journal but in this case (exceptionally) they will be. But then, I have no idea what length papers in your field normally are. In my field such short papers are called "squibs" or "notes" and some journals have special sections for them, though most will just find them too short (these papers normally have different requirements than full-length papers). Why don't you just contact the editors and ask about the preferred length of the paper?  

I understand that such short papers are not normally considered by this journal but in this case (exceptionally) they will be. But then, I have no idea what length papers in your field normally are. In my field such short papers are called "squibs" or "notes" and some journals have special sections for them, though most will just find them too short (these papers normally have different requirements than full-length papers). Why don't you just contact the editors and ask about the preferred length of the paper?  

Thanks for the input.

My supervisor already contacted the journal, so I'll be getting his response early this week. I just thought I'd post anyways to ask.