Picking Potential Schools & Advisors (MA)

Beckert

Hi Everyone, 

I am in the process of preparing & applying to MA programs in History. I know that finding the right advisor who is an expert in your area of interest is critical for PhD programs, I am wondering if this is the same for MA programs?  The more professors I look at the smaller my list of schools is becoming.  Is your advisor in your exact field? How did you go about picking potential adviors and do any of you who have been through this have any advice.  I am starting the process a little late, so I am a little overwhelmed at the moment. 

Thanks in Advance  :)

Perhaps I was a bit calculating with this, but I chose my MA supervisor based off of two factors: how good they are going to be as a reference for when I apply for PhD programs, and how well they answered emails. Now, I wouldn't recommend the email thing as a rule, although I've found those professors who were seriously interested would provide a lot of information and went out of their way to promote themselves. Remember, just as we compete for spots in programs, programs compete for the best of us. I only applied to my current Canadian university and Oxford for the MA. I was admitted to both, but I had figured out that around the time I was making applications that unless a miracle happened (it didn't) affording Oxford was beyond my ability. Thus I wanted a supervisor who could get me there or an Ivy for my doctoral degree. I picked my current supervisor because he was very friendly and personable, an Oxonian himself, and highly respected in his field. We don't quite work on the same thing (he does early Byzantine, whereas my interests lie in the middle period), but I compromised and went to work on the early period under him. It has now been a year. He has hired me for several projects in that time and speaks highly of my work. I have little doubt that his letters of recommendation will carry a lot of weight this fall for PhD applications.

As for program versus supervisor, I just don't know anything about your field so it's hard to say. I came where I am for the supervisor and I don't regret that, although the program has sub-standard language training. I don't know just what sort of extraneous skills one might need to pick up in US history at the MA level, but I would base program choices on whether it will provide whatever skills you need.

Thank you very much.  I am interested in African American History, particularly racial relations and the civil rights movement (1860s-1960s).  I am planning on email potential advisors to get a feel for them, but not sure what to say? Any advice on this? 

Thank you very much.  I am interested in African American History, particularly racial relations and the civil rights movement (1860s-1960s).  I am planning on email potential advisors to get a feel for them, but not sure what to say? Any advice on this? 

I always have. The professors who can't be bothered to answer a five minute email and probably the sort you won't have much of a working relationship with anyway. I've even been emailing people who I would never work under given their institutions (sorry, Wisconsin-Madison, I'm not paying US tuition rates unless it's for an Ivy) just for ideas. My field is pretty small and pretty friendly; most seem happy just to hear from someone who has similar interests. That said, I found the emails I sent out to potential MA supervisors had about a 50% response rate. It has been easier for PhD programs. Once you mention those words I guess they know you're serious and they always respond. Some of this may be because now I always mention that I'm a student of my current supervisor, who is quite well known. If you have the time, snail-mail letters do show a certain commitment and respect.