LOR Suggestions

I'll be applying for SLP programs for the fall of 2014. I have a 3.82 GPA (3.92 in field) with GRE scores of 162 (verbal), 162 (quantitative), and 4.5 (writing). I have worked at a summer camp for kids with special needs for several years and this past summer I was the caregiver for a young adult with severe CP. A lot of what we did was communication related (including using a head-switch activated Dynavox!). I have a few friends who are going to help me with my SOP, but I am most concerned with my letters of reccomendation. I have not fostered relationships with my professors even though I did well.

I wrote and published a paper in an unrelated field and was going to ask that professor to write me a strong letter. I also volunteer with an autism play group once a week and the director offered to write me a LOR. I was hoping to get a letter from any of my speech professors from last year even though I don't know them well (I went to office hours once for one class). I've also shadowed an SLP near my house several times and know that she would write me a LOR. Do these four sources sound good? Do I need more in-field professors?

I'm looking at UW-Madison, Marquette, University of Florida, Saint Louis Univeristy, UVA, and Kentucky and am just pretty nervous about getting in. I've heard so many people have really struggled to get acceptances.

When I went through the application process, one of the professors (who also sat on the department's admissions committees) told me that of your 3-4 LORs 2-3 of them should come from professors.  The last can come from a non-academic source, but it had better be SLP-related.

Each school's ad comm is different, but my impression was that academic letters hold a little more weight.

Okay, so if I did the out-of-field professor, the in-field professor, and the director of the autism play group would that be sufficient? I could ask other speech and hearing professors, but I would be wary about just getting a so-so letter from someone who doesn't really know me. I'm just nervous becuase I think my LORs will be bly far lthe weakest point of my application.

skipper22, luckily you have the next couple months to start building a relationship with your professors.  Participate in class, ask thoughtful questions, and go to office hours.  Professors pay attention to what you do and don't do in and out of class.

Even if you don't have questions about the coursework, go to office hours.  It can't hurt to pick your professors' brains about why THEY went into the field.  Ask them what they've learned that they wish someone would've told them early on in their careers.  Let them know about your career aspirations and ask if they have advice.  It looks like you have an interest in working with kids with autism and/or kid who use AAC devices to communicate.  It couldn't hurt to ask if they know SLPs in your area who specialize in those fields that you could shadow and/or observe.  (You may even be able to get some ASHA observation hours.)  Maybe try to get in on a research project headed by a professor.

Don't forget, any time you may be within eyesight or earshot of a professor, make sure you are the utmost professional.  Even if you think you aren't being watched.  One of my professors told me a story of a student whom she thought was a good student and had the potential to be a great clinician.  Until the professor was in the observation room watching a session and overheard the student trash-talk the professor after the client left.  The professor pressed the call button, gently reminding the student that the microphone was still live and she was listening.

I am also worried about this. I'm coming from out-of-field and don't have that many speech-language contacts yet. I've been teaching full-time for the past six years, so I have a lot of relevant experience. Working with students in areas related to speech and language is my passion and I have no doubt I want to specialize in this field. I hadn't been aggressively pursuing SLP until this past year because I didn't think I would ever be able to go back to school. Circumstances changed this past year and I am thrilled that I can pursue SLP programs. However, I feel like I'm stuck in this odd place as someone who is applying to 3 year programs for out-of-field applicants. It's like they know you need that first year for the foundation coursework (because you're coming from a different background), but at the same time still expect letters of rec from SLP professors/professionals...from that major you don't have yet. I was explicitly told at one school I was visiting that I would not get into the 3 year program if I didn't have any SLP coursework or didn't have 3 academic letters of rec, including ones from SLP professors.

I would still like to use my employer as one of my letters of rec. I feel she can speak to my strengths and skills as an education and leader that would relate to SLP. I have also contacted a professor from my M.Ed program who knew me well (she was my student teaching advisor). However, I don't have a SLP recommender lined up yet and I am really worried.

On the upside, I am currently taking a hearing disorders class in the evenings and am doing really well (destroying the tests, participating in class, etc.), so I'm sure the professor (an audiologist) would write me a recommendation...however, still not specifically SLP. I tried desperately to take a SLP class this fall and could not find one that would fit into my schedule at this time. I do have some specific SLP volunteer and shadowing experiences lined up in the next month, but worry that I won't have time to build these relationships enough before the applications are due. Hopefully I can get the audiologist professor and a SLP for 4 letters of rec total. I haven't given up hope yet :) 

Any other out-of-fielders struggling with this? Advice?

Here are some of my stats:

Psychology BA and Education Studies M.Ed from UCSD-graduated with honors

Undergrad GPA: 3.73

M.Ed GPA: 4.0

GRE: Verbal-167, Quant-159, Writing-4.5

Work/Volunteer Experience: Six plus years teaching experience at various grade levels including working with students with speech/language/ communication difficulties, volunteer at a bike camp for children with disabilities, volunteer at a theater camp for autistic teens/adults, SLP clinic volunteering and shadowing (soon)

I am also worried about this. I'm coming from out-of-field and don't have that many speech-language contacts yet. I've been teaching full-time for the past six years, so I have a lot of relevant experience. Working with students in areas related to speech and language is my passion and I have no doubt I want to specialize in this field. I hadn't been aggressively pursuing SLP until this past year because I didn't think I would ever be able to go back to school. Circumstances changed this past year and I am thrilled that I can pursue SLP programs. However, I feel like I'm stuck in this odd place as someone who is applying to 3 year programs for out-of-field applicants. It's like they know you need that first year for the foundation coursework (because you're coming from a different background), but at the same time still expect letters of rec from SLP professors/professionals...from that major you don't have yet. I was explicitly told at one school I was visiting that I would not get into the 3 year program if I didn't have any SLP coursework or didn't have 3 academic letters of rec, including ones from SLP professors.

I would still like to use my employer as one of my letters of rec. I feel she can speak to my strengths and skills as an education and leader that would relate to SLP. I have also contacted a professor from my M.Ed program who knew me well (she was my student teaching advisor). However, I don't have a SLP recommender lined up yet and I am really worried.

On the upside, I am currently taking a hearing disorders class in the evenings and am doing really well (destroying the tests, participating in class, etc.), so I'm sure the professor (an audiologist) would write me a recommendation...however, still not specifically SLP. I tried desperately to take a SLP class this fall and could not find one that would fit into my schedule at this time. I do have some specific SLP volunteer and shadowing experiences lined up in the next month, but worry that I won't have time to build these relationships enough before the applications are due. Hopefully I can get the audiologist professor and a SLP for 4 letters of rec total. I haven't given up hope yet :)

Any other out-of-fielders struggling with this? Advice?

Here are some of my stats:

Psychology BA and Education Studies M.Ed from UCSD-graduated with honors

Undergrad GPA: 3.73

M.Ed GPA: 4.0

GRE: Verbal-167, Quant-159, Writing-4.5

Work/Volunteer Experience: Six plus years teaching experience at various grade levels including working with students with speech/language/ communication difficulties, volunteer at a bike camp for children with disabilities, volunteer at a theater camp for autistic teens/adults, SLP clinic volunteering and shadowing (soon)

Can you do a post-bacc program, or take your pre-requisite courses online and then apply to a 2-year master's program? It could save you money, and will give you an opportunity to get LORs from SLP professors.

Can you do a post-bacc program, or take your pre-requisite courses online and then apply to a 2-year master's program? It could save you money, and will give you an opportunity to get LORs from SLP professors.

Thanks for the quick response :) This is my back-up plan if I don't get in anywhere this round. I could do an online post-bac this year, but would prefer to get into a 3 year program or complete a post-bac in-person. I hope my recommendations combined with my personal statement about my related experiences and passion for SLP can get me into a 3 year program for next fall. We shall see :)