What is "ok" for a C.V

JacksonBaby

So I am in the process of revamping my C.V and getting all sorts of things together. I have a slight problem though. Over the past two years I presented a series of workshops to my campus community that dealt with music. The point of them though was contextualization and how critical it is to not look at things with a "presentist' view. I am wondering if those workshops have a place on the C.V?

Also over the previous year I have worked writing short articles for an online publication. That are fact based so they are not opinion articles. I am also curious if these minor online publications (of which I have about 6) have a place on a C.V?

Do awards that are non-academic also get listed? Such as community service awards/grants.

Of course there are plenty of people I could ask (and I am) and there are tons of websites to consult (been there) but I figured that this community has valuable insight so why not see what you all have to say.

I would say you can include all of them.

Your workshops count as "Service", your articles are "Non-Peer Reviewed Publications", awards probably won't help much if they aren't academic but you can include them. This isn't necessarily stuff I would leave on a CV forever, but it's worth doing.

Agreed; I'm not sure any of this hurts, but you may want to categorize these things in a way that makes it clear you realize that these do not count as professional accolades in the discipline of history. 

For the workshops, I'd try to find a way to tie them to the "presentism" issue as well (maybe mention this in your personal statement somehow?)

If it helps, when I made up my CV I included articles that had been published in print magazines but none that had only been published online or on blogs. The thing I'd lean most against including would be the community service awards, but even they might have some relevance (demonstrating willingness to perform service or something).

Edited by czesc

I would say you can include all of them.

Your workshops count as "Service", your articles are "Non-Peer Reviewed Publications", awards probably won't help much if they aren't academic but you can include them. This isn't necessarily stuff I would leave on a CV forever, but it's worth doing.

Thank you. I suppose peer review  for academic journals would count on a C.V also as service also?

Agreed; I'm not sure any of this hurts, but you may want to categorize these things in a way that makes it clear you realize that these do not count as professional accolades in the discipline of history. 

For the workshops, I'd try to find a way to tie them to the "presentism" issue as well (maybe mention this in your personal statement somehow?)

If it helps, when I made up my CV I included articles that had been published in print magazines but none that had only been published online or on blogs. The thing I'd lean most against including would be the community service awards, but even they might have some relevance (demonstrating willingness to perform service or something).

Ah I thought the personal statement would be a good place to tie that in. Histiographical research that is based in the Gilded Age/Progressive era is especially interesting to me.

How do you feel about including academic presentation that were not in the field of history. I had a presentation that falls under interdisciplinary.

Peer Review is definitely service and you should be including any academic presentation regardless of the field. Again, these are things that can be dropped off later but they might be enough to set you apart from other applicants.