Neuroscience vs. Biopsychology/Behavioral Neuroscience

pachel

There's so many subdivisions of neuroscience I can't keep track of them all. I'd like to go into neuroscience, though most schools I'm looking at have a neuroscience program and a biopsych/behavioral neuroscience program, the latter of which is through the psychology department. I'm more interested in straight neuroscience, however my background better prepares me for the biopsych. I majored in psychology in undergrad (neuroscience concentration and biology minor; school didn't offer neuro major). I've taken one semester of general chemistry and a fair number of bio courses (evolution/genetics, microbio, cell & molecular, neurobio, molecular basis of nervous system disorders) but I lack organic chemistry, physics, and math.

Could I/should I apply to both types of programs at each school? Or does that look unfocused? Again, I think I have a better chance of getting in to the ones under the psych umbrella but I'd rather do neuro. Thoughts on the difference?

Honestly there isn't that much of a difference in most schools. In many places you can still work under the same faculty member whether you are applying to neuroscience or behavioral neuroscience/biopsychology. A lot of the time even if you choose to do behavioral neuroscience/biopsychology you can still take the same types of electives, but this depends on the program. It may well vary from school to school, so just take a look and see if the faculty mentors/course schedules look the same. In the end what degree you get shouldn't matter as much as the type of work you do and what you are trained to do.

Personally I would just apply to one program at each school. It will save you money and some schools have rules against applying to multiple programs. If you're having questions about the program you should apply to,at a certain school, you should try contacting the program coordinators and/or look at admissions requirements for both programs.

I hope this helps!

Your background doesn't really matter, psychology with some biology coursework is certainly good enough... plenty of people get into neuroscience programs from psychology, biochemistry, physics, CS, and other disciplines. The biggest differences in those programs will be the interests of your cohort and your coursework, so apply to the programs that sound more interesting. I agree that you should pick one program at each school.