Balance school, work, and social

mars2013

As an MBA students, I have to balance school, work, and social. We only have this much time every day, but we want to do so many things... How do you do it?:)

I take breaks from schoolwork. When I get home, my focus is on my husband and my kids. My computer stays off while my kids are awake; it forces me to actually get stuff done when they're asleep. Several 3rd and 4th year students in my program don't do schoolwork on weekends, and recommended that to us during orientation (I'm not that good. Yet.). Learning to step back from it all and do something else is a skill - it takes practice.

I put fun stuff on my calendar like I would any other school or work obligation.  It makes me feel more obligated to do it because I scheduled it, especially if the fun involves other people.  I also don't beat myself up when I get up early on a day off, have a pile of homework to do, and then spend the next 5 hours watching crappy tv lol.  Sometimes it is good to turn off our brains =)

Yeah, I think putting stuff on the calendar is great idea. We wouldn't forget what need to be done,and we also feel more motivated to do it. I sometimes make a to-do list. Well, the hard part is to stick to it... haha:)

• 2 weeks later...

I give myself a lot of pre-planned structure during the day, which helps me be productive as I go into each day already knowing what I'm going to be working on. Also, I do my best to only work in my office. This helps me feel a lot more relaxed when I'm at home or out with friends - leaving my work at work frees me up mentally to actually enjoy my down time and social time.