Which Econ MA program would be better?

palevans86

I have been admitted to Yale's IDE and NYU's Econ MA. I'm wondering which option is best as a stepping stone before applying to a PhD program in Economics.

I am an international student from Latin America. I did my undergraduate at UPenn and I'm currently taking math classes at Columbia. Didn't apply to Phds because I thought I wouldn't get into top programs in the US.

Which one would you recommend?

It is really depend on the focus or concentration of your PhD studies. If you plan to go back to Latin America, I would suggest Yale IDE program. They are quantitative oriented, so you would not be behind in building your math background. Secondly, it would be a great path if you want to pursue a development career (public policy, economic adviser, etc...). While a MA at NYU may put you on track for a PhD, it's only a one year program. So technically, you only have, at max, 1 semester to impress on potential PhD committee. IDE, on the other hand, would put you in a better position if you are considering Yale Econ PhD a potential program. All depend on where you want to pursue your PhD. NYU or Yale? Personally, I would prefer Yale.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard a few complaints about NYU's MA program. They've got a reputation of bringing in students as TAs and working the heck out of them. I can't say anything from personal experience, but that is the rumors I've heard.

• 6 months later...

I have been admitted to Yale's IDE and NYU's Econ MA. I'm wondering which option is best as a stepping stone before applying to a PhD program in Economics.

I am an international student from Latin America. I did my undergraduate at UPenn and I'm currently taking math classes at Columbia. Didn't apply to Phds because I thought I wouldn't get into top programs in the US.

Which one would you recommend?

SOmeone I know went through the NYU MA program, and was able to get into Madison and UC Davis for his Ph.D., Both fairly good schools. He did say that he didn't get much access to professors. Also it seemed that he did not get a lot of financial aid either, so he is starting his career with debt in excess of $100,000