UCLA's unusual MS stats "pre-reqs"?

valve12

I've emailed their student affairs office multiple times about this and haven't received a response -- I'm thinking that I'll have better luck on the gradcafe community (and, asking here can potentially help others with similar questions).  

From their admissions website:

"A bachelor’s degree in statistics is not required for the M.S. or Ph.D. programs, but applicants should have taken at least 12 quarter courses (or eight semester courses) in substantial upper division quantitative work, including, but not limited to, courses in statistics, mathematics, computer science, and electrical engineering."

http://statistics.ucla.edu/graduate-program/applicants

That's a LOT of sugested pre-req courses, compared to similar programs!  Most MS programs require the lower-division math sequence and probably expect a few upper-div courses in stats and math.  Does anyone know or have an idea of how strictly this "suggestion" (they do use the word "should" instead of "requirements") is enforced?  I glanced at their course catalog, and their core grad courses seem to have only the lower-division math sequence and a basic upper-div course in probability as pre-reqs. 

My undergrad is in economics and I've finished the lower-div math sequence with good grades.  It would take me a year of additional full-time study to meet this suggestion/requirement.  But, it seems like UCLA is the only MS stats program that has such a requirement.  I really want to go to UCLA and I think that it is a good match for me but if they don't count econ courses and they are serious about enforcing this, then I may just have to strike it from my list of schools.

Thanks.

I can't say for sure, regarding how strict UCLA would be on this, but I think mathematically intensive economics courses, like micro and macro theory, econometrics, and so on, would be included. Assuming the lower level sequence to which you are referring is Calc 1-3 and Diff EQ, you would probably really want to take, all of the theorem-proof variety, a linear algebra class, a course or sequence in advanced calculus (i.e. lower level real analysis), and a calculus-based probability and mathematical statistics sequence. Lower level stat methods courses probably don't mean much but don't hurt obviously. Familiarity with software like SAS, R, Matlab, etc. would probably also help.

"...applicants should have taken at least 12 quarter courses (or eight semester courses) in substantial upper division quantitative work, including, but not limited to, courses in statistics, mathematics, computer science, and electrical engineering."

Seems pretty clear they just want you to have taken enough "hard" courses that have some quantitative content. I doubt they'll be counting credits as long as you're in the ballpark; the "requirement" is probably meant to send the message that a psych major whose only quantitative course is intro psych stat should look elsewhere.