Visiting for Funding

TtheSurreal

I admitted to my top choice without fellowship. I wrote two professors and they didn't replied me back. Should I get to car and drive up there to talk with professor and beg them for any possibility of funding? Do you think this would work?

That just seems a little to pushy and desperate to me. You should send another email a week later saying "You may not have received my last email, so I am forwarding it again..." and give them time to respond. Otherwise call and leave a few messages. After speaking to them over phone or email, then you should try to arrange a visit.

And if by admitted you mean accepted their offer, it may be too late to try to negotiate for funding.

I mean I get an acceptance letter without funding by email and didn't receive the official admission letter, yet. So, you think I shouldn't go and ask for funding? But it should be easy for a professor to just write me back "I don't have any available position", right? Thats it "i am not going to give you an assistantship". There should be something and i feel like i just need to go there and convince them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with attempting to ask and negotiate with them, but I think showing up in person out of the blue might be a bit off-putting. They may need time to reply back, or you may just need to call them a little more. But to show up at their office and ask for more money is rude. They may need more time to respond or are working on it.

Like I said, try calling them and email again, or try to set up an appointment to visit the school and just happen to mention funding while there.

But honestly, if you find the professors are refusing to speak to you or ignoring your calls/emails, you may not want to work with them or go to that school at all.

I don't think there is anything wrong with attempting to ask and negotiate with them, but I think showing up in person out of the blue might be a bit off-putting. They may need time to reply back, or you may just need to call them a little more. But to show up at their office and ask for more money is rude. They may need more time to respond or are working on it.

Like I said, try calling them and email again, or try to set up an appointment to visit the school and just happen to mention funding while there.

But honestly, if you find the professors are refusing to speak to you or ignoring your calls/emails, you may not want to work with them or go to that school at all.

+1 for all he/she said.

I agree with sonnyday's points as well.

I think a visit that demonstrates your interest and professionalism--not the desperation, :) regardless of your justified feelings--might be an option.

You may want to keep in mind that they just may not know; or perhaps don't like giving negative answers. Check out the Chronicle of Higher Education if you want to learn more about the budget crises that are keeping faculty up at night.

Also *word* about getting the just-like-cattle treatment. Unless you want to Moooo! for the next few years.