A Master's Degree in Religion

Hi, everyone:

I have an M.Div. from Vanderbilt and was wondering if this would be a hindrance to an application towards a doctoral program in English literature. My theological education has certainly shaped my approach to many things, including literature, but I'm wondering if this will make me a throwaway candidate or an interesting one.

I studied religion because I was interested in the intersection between religion and gender/sexuality. I think in many senses literature offers more freedom to wrestle with those issues, though, and so thought I'd apply to study queer memoirs. Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit in particular is a favorite read of mine and her companion piece, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?, which both deal with the coming out story of someone in the midst of an oppressive religious atmosphere. I'm also wondering if it would be easier to achieve a space in a PhD program if I proposed study in nonfiction vs fiction.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

What is your undergrad degree in? I ask because an M.Div won't necessarily be a problem-- in fact, it could be an asset depending on the program and how you frame the experience; however, if you have only taken one or two English courses in your entire academic career, I'd imagine that could be a setback. 

My undergraduate majors were in English, writing, philosophy and religion (just couldn't choose so I did them all). I had mostly Brit lit classes with an American lit, transcendental, Mark Twain, sci fi/fantasy, editing/publishing and four writing classes.

I'd definitely swing in favor of Brit lit though I'm a lover of Michael Cunningham who's done some fabulous LGBTQ stuff as well.

Most department sites clarify that they do not require an English degree, just a significant number of English courses. (Frequently these two things overlap, but not always!) 

If you can show a significant background in studying literature (which probably also applies to your M.Div in parts?), I think you will be fine. Do keep in mind that they are more likely to want to hear from English professors than anyone else, so if you can also get recommendations from those who can speak to your abilities with literature, specifically, your application will be that much stronger.

Otherwise, an M.Div very well could prove an asset - especially since it's evidence that you can (and have) successfully completed graduate work.

Awesome! Since you have a solid English background, I think your M.Div will actually be an asset in your application. In your SoP, demonstrate how your experience at Vanderbilt has shaped your research questions within literary studies. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, all, for the encouragement. I had another question arise that I thought I might put to you: would you submit a crummier paper from undergrad on literature, or a theology paper from my master's program that shows of my current writing and research skill if you were me? 

If that theology paper is centered on literature and shows the work you want to do in a literature program, that could work.

However, if it does not, I would revise that literature paper until it's at the same skill as the theology paper! I know, sounds like a lot of work, but it's THE most important part of your application (that and the SoP). You want to feel like you're turning in a great piece of literary scholarship that represents the best you can do.