Taking Grad level classes

ToomuchLes

Does anyone know if universities allow students to take graduate level courses, even though they already graduated as an undergrad from another institution? Moreover, would this be beneficial to an applicant if they wish to take a year off or they werent accepted?  

Does anyone know if universities allow students to take graduate level courses, even though they already graduated as an undergrad from another institution? Moreover, would this be beneficial to an applicant if they wish to take a year off or they werent accepted?  

Yes, many do. You would be a non-degree student and pay full price for each course.

I think it's beneficial in certain circumstances. Have you been out of the school for a while?  If so, then taking classes and working with new professors might result in much better letters. Switching fields? It might also help in that situation for the same reasons. I can't imagine that doing well in non-degree courses will ever hurt an applicant but in many cases I can't see it helping much either.

I will be graduating with a BA in history next year. 

The only reason I ask is, in case I am rejected, what will I do for a several month before application season starts again?

I've thought of several alternatives : teaching English in rural areas, such as Tanzania, Nepal or Thailand (I know of a program that does this), taking 1-2 graduate level courses during summer (after I graduate), or trying to working with one of my POI.