MSW - How do I prepare myself?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a junior (actually, I'm a sophomore, but I'm only like 4 credits from being a junior due to credit articulation when I transferred) and my major is Psychology with a minor in Sociology. I was really interested in pursuing a PhD in either Clinical or Counseling Psychology, but I've been recently looking into pursuing my MSW because of its versatility. I'd be concentrating in Mental Health/Counseling for my MSW. Furthermore after obtaining my MSW, I hope to take the LCSW exam in order to practice.

Now, the question is: where do I start? I've been in academic/research mode, so I'm new to the MSW realm. As of now, I don't really have relevant work experience that pertains to Social Work or Mental Health because I was previously a film major. But I'm looking to get on it very soon! I'm planning to get involved on-campus with Social Behavior research, so I hope that's a good start. I'm also going to visit my university's health center to look for any volunteering opportunities.

Right now, my GPA is a 3.5 (it used to be a 3.7 at my previous school...i know, but I made a huge jump-as far as prestige goes). My grades for this semester will probably result around a 3.2-3.5 GPA. Will one "off" semester have a huge impact on me? It's just that I've been working two part-time jobs to pay off my rent, and on top of that commuting and taking on school work as a full-time student. It's getting really hard, but I'm starting to become better at managing my time. However, I know I can graduate with at least a 3.5, and I have about two more years to do it. How important are grades for MSW programs? I really do hope to stay in either California or New York because that's where family's at.

Honestly, this is all I have as of now. What does it take to get into reputable programs like UCLA, Columbia, CAL, USC? I'm at USC btw. I don't wish to stay here past my undergrad, but I'll do it if it comes down to it. Any tips, advice? Thank you!

Edited by la_noire93

I think 1-2 years of relevant direct service experience should be enough. You want to have something to write about in your essays, especially if you plan on writing scholarship essays. I know people who have been accepted into each of the programs you listed and are within that range of professional experience. The acceptance rates at social work schools are pretty high compared to other graduate programs. USC has one of the highest, they accept a lot of people. Maybe because they get turned down a lot because tuition is so high and financial aid is so low? Just speculating on that front.

Purplescarves, It's really comforting to hear about your personal experiences with applying, and knowing others who have applied as well. Thank you for that. As far as direct service experience, I'm in the application process of volunteering at a crisis intervention center for a anti-domestic violent organization in LA. I'd be trained for 65 hours, become certified and commit at least a year to answering calls and handling situations. I'm nervous, but also excited to be directly working in this area!

Hii.  The experience you highlight in your personal statement will be the most important thing they look at during the application review, so I wouldnt worry too much about your GPA.  Your crisis training will be very valuable (good luck!) and I also suggest you volunteer with at least one other agency before applying.  I have an MSW from UCLA so feel free to let me know if you have any questions I can help answer (uclasocialworker@gmail.com).  

• 1 month later...

That is basically my undergrad story. With a background in research I actually feel better prepared for some of the assignments we have been asked to complete than some of my peers seemed to. Try and get some more clinical experience. I had some professional experience but also spent some time working for disability services at my college during undergrad, volunteered and was an officer of a club.  I think your GPA will be fine and your experiences will be really valued. I learned after applying that prestige does not always make it better when it comes to MSW programs...really consider the area you want to work in afterwards. I am loving my smaller school because class sizes are small and professionals are amazing. With small class sizes you can really get a lot more face time with the professors but also are able to get to know your peers quickly.

P.S. Your writing skills are extremely importantly...I find that the case in my program anyways! Take some extra writing, research, and diversity classes if you can!

• 2 years later...

I would take some LCSW exam prep courses so you can pass the test right out of undergrad. This could help you get a good job while attending grad school and furthering your education. That is what I am doing and it is working well.

Edited by TakeruK
removed advertisement