Need honest input - do I have any chance at a MS Biostatistics program?

James_7

A few people who are in programs right now say I have a decent chance, but the more I look around the more worried I get. Here's my profile:

26-year old clinical research coordinator at a hospital. I do regulatory work, help doctors interpret study protocols, and report data on patients who are on clinical trials for new cancer drugs. 
Undergrad: University of WA 2006-2010, BS Molecular biology 3.04 GPA
Calc I/II = 3.0
Calc III = 2.7 
Currently taking linear algebra, can't understand a word the teacher is saying so we'll see how that goes.
GRE: Haven't taken but based on practice exams I hope for ~160Q / 160V

What I've done since graduating in 2010: Worked in a government immunology lab for 8 months (which is when I realized I wanted a new career), taught English in Hong Kong for 4 months, took a certificate in clinical trials course at UW while being unemployed for 6 months. Then I got my current job, which I've been doing for 1.75 years now. 

My personal statement will basically say - I grew up on an orchard with no idea what I wanted to do. Thought I wanted to work in a lab, but realized (especially in Hong Kong) that I need to work with people. Clinical trials turned out to be really interesting and I love that you get to work on various projects with doctors and scientists, therefore biostats would be perfect since you get to work with them and really have an impact/be needed.

My quantitave background is limited though and programming knowledge is zero. I'm considering waiting until next year so I can take a stats course or something.

To increase more courses under your belt in quantitative topics, the following are highly recommended & essential, as a foundation.

1)Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin (first 7 chapters atleast)

2)Linear Algebra (until Perron Frobenius theory of Non-negative matrices)

These 2 will give you reasonably firm foundation, given the circumstances.

Wish you well.

To increase more courses under your belt in quantitative topics, the following are highly recommended & essential, as a foundation.

1)Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin (first 7 chapters atleast)

2)Linear Algebra (until Perron Frobenius theory of Non-negative matrices)

These 2 will give you reasonably firm foundation, given the circumstances.

Wish you well.

Uh, no, that is ridiculous overkill for someone wanting to enter a biostatistics Masters program. Neither real analysis nor anything more than introductory linear algebra is necessary.

OP, I think you're in a tough spot because your grades are relatively weak; there may be concern about your ability to handle the required math. If you can get really strong letters and nail the GRE, you might have a shot at a mid-tier program. 

OP, I think you're in a tough spot because your grades are relatively weak; there may be concern about your ability to handle the required math. If you can get really strong letters and nail the GRE, you might have a shot at a mid-tier program. 

Thanks for the input. Took the first linear algebra exam yesterday and pretty sure I aced it. Hopefully I'll get a 3.7+ in the class.

I'll have two letters from professors of pediatric oncology. They will probably talk about how bright, dependable, likeable, detail oriented, passionate I am but will not be able to speak of anything quantitative related. Same goes for the letter from my boss (clinical research manager).

I took a practice GRE without studying and got 154Q 158V. Fairly confident I can raise that to a 160+Q. 

What are considered mid-tier? 

I was thinking of applying to:

Iowa

Pittsburgh

Boston

UMN and Michigan (but I think these two are more on the upper end? maybe leave them out?)

Buffalo

Wisconsin if they figure out their stuff (program coordinator retired so they are confused and haven't told me anything)

Any other suggestions?