GRE Retake?

jesse7771

Hi, Im currently an undergraduate in electrical engineering looking to pursue a masters/PHD in EE or related field. I'm at a top 90 institution in my Sr. year with almost all of my major done. Right now Im sitting at a 3.8 overall 4.0 major GPA and I recently took my GRE. Didnt have time to study or prep aside from the day before (COOP, Sr. Design, research, really long commutes every day...) and got a 163 Quant 164 Verbal. Im wondering if it would be worth it for me to retake the test or not? Its not a cheap test to take and I plan on applying to grad school this December so if I do retake it will be very hard for me to find enough time to prep, Im worried about the low Quant score... I plan on applying to several schools like Ga. Tech, Cornell, UF, UCSD, Purdue, Michigan, ect.

Dear Jesse7771,

I think your GRE scores are good; most schools have started to care very little about them (based on language on many admissions pages of schools), some even eliminating them alltogether (e.g., MIT).

For PhD, the consensus seems to be that GPA, letters of recommendation, and most importantly research, as demonstrated by letters, experience and publications, is what matters.

I think your time will be better spent trying to beef up research activities. Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,

-DV

• 2 weeks later...

I got into most schools I applied to with worse GRE scores than yours. So long as you've got good research experience under your belt (and good LORs from that), with a gpa like yours, I think you'll be fine :)

• 2 weeks later...