Programs/Departments in contemporary Islam, ethics

Instanoodle

I think I’m looking in the wrong places for PhD/Masters.  My interests are in contemporary Islam, ethics, authority and religiopolitical power with a dabbling in masculinity when it fits, focusing on the Middle East.   I’ve found great people at U of Chicago, Duke, HDS, and U Texas Austin, but it may be a stretch to get into those programs. 

A little about me: 3.5 GPA with a major in Religious Studies and a sociology concentration, minor in French and I’m learning German, GRE 166 V.  My weaknesses are no Arabic, weak methodology training, and my philosophy is dusty.

And I want to put it out there that my heart is in Rels, and every time I stray I get pulled back, so I don’t think I’d be happy in a political science or sociology department, but feel free to prove me wrong.  Also, I’d love to continue working in Christianity, so programs with some pluralism are a plus.

My question is this – what programs should I be looking at and where do I have a shot of getting in?  ANY advice is helpful since I feel so utterly misdirected right now. 

Thanks in advance everyone.

You might look into Shaun Marmon who works on Islam at Princeton University. Those who study Islam in the Religion department also work closely with those who work in Near Eastern studies. You could study Islam with that group and get the more philosophical/theoretical training in ethical and political thought from other members of the Religion faculty, particularly those in the Religion, Ethics, and Politics subfield.

Hartford Seminary has a combined PhD with the University of Exeter, has focuses on 'Muslim-Christian Relations' and 'Theology and Ethics.' Since this program follows the UK model for a PhD, I imagine that it may not be the best fit but obviously only you can determine that.

As you noted, with no Arabic you're putting yourself at a nasty disadvantage.

Without the language component you will almost certainly not get in to any competitive PhD programs in contemporary Islam. You will need a masters, some go for two. Begin your languages, perhaps spend the summers in an Arabic speaking country, and after you will likely have a lot better idea where to apply for a PhD.

Thanks everyone;  I'm new here and having a forum (pun not really intended) where I can pick people's brains has already been immensely helpful.  Arabic is definitely the next step, and in the meantime I will focus on finding good fits within MA programs.  If you have any more ideas on places/people I should look at, please let me know. Thanks again!