Question for the community: Am I ready to apply for a biostatistics masters program?

mf161

Hi everybody!

I'm interested in applying to a graduate program for a masters in biostatistics and wanted a few opinions on whether or not I am prepared. Below is my profile:

Undergrad GPA: 3.8X

Undergrad degree: BA, not in Statistics

Relevant courses (grade in parentheses): 

1. Differential Calculus (A)

2. Integral Calculus (A)

3. Multivariate Calculus (A-)

4. Differential Equations (A)

5. Linear Algebra (A) --I think this would fit the criteria for an introductory course

7. Introduction to Statistics (A-)

6. Probability Theory with Calculus (A)

7. Introduction to Applied Statistics (currently taking, I expect to get an A in the course; this is a graduate level course)

GRE scores:

162 Q

5.0 Analytic Writing

Noteworthy skills and other:

-SQL (basic, but I am learning more every day)

-Minitab (same as SQL)

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited for privacy at OP's request

Unless your school is completely unknown, a 3.8+ with adequate mathematical preparation gives you a very good chance of admission at many good Biostat Masters programs. 

Thank you for your input!

Unfortunately, my undergraduate is a small, public liberal arts college that isn't very well known.

Fortunately, I plan on applying to public universities in the same in-state program, so I think they should know of my undergraduate!

Thank you again, I'm delighted to hear that I should go for it.

It's not so much a matter of your school's name being recognized, but of the quality of the institution. Faculty are entirely capable of using the web to get an idea of a school's overall quality (say, using US News rankings or admissions data on about.com) even if they're unfamiliar with it.

The "meaning" of a 3.8 depends on your school's academic standards and student body strength, not so much on its name. I am sometimes surprised to discover in the process of reviewing applications that smaller colleges I have never heard of are just as or more competitive at the undergraduate level than universally-recognized large state schools.

Hi everybody!

I'm interested in applying to a graduate program for a masters in biostatistics and wanted a few opinions on whether or not I am prepared. Below is my profile:

Undergrad GPA: 3.8X

Undergrad degree: BA, not in Statistics

Relevant courses (grade in parentheses): 

1. Differential Calculus (A)

2. Integral Calculus (A)

3. Multivariate Calculus (A-)

4. Differential Equations (A)

5. Linear Algebra (A) --I think this would fit the criteria for an introductory course

7. Introduction to Statistics (A-)

6. Probability Theory with Calculus (A)

7. Introduction to Applied Statistics (currently taking, I expect to get an A in the course; this is a graduate level course)

GRE scores:

162 Q

5.0 Analytic Writing

Noteworthy skills and other:

-SQL (basic, but I am learning more every day)

-Minitab (same as SQL)

You look like you are set. Try to pick up some programming (learn R and/or SAS) you will use that a lot more than SQL. 

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited for privacy at OP's request (only quote edited)

Thank you for your input cyberwulf; it's interesting to hear about the nuances of the application process from the receiving and deciding end.

And thank you for the advice cyentist; I plan on taking a course on SAS in the spring and will notify departments of such in my personal statement.

This has all been very helpful!

• 3 months later...

Again, thank you both; your advice was both helpful and encouraging.

If you don't mind assisting me again, I have two follow-up questions:

What are your thoughts on the following three programs, and how do you think they compare for preparing for a career as a biostatistician:

-University at Albany Biostatistics MS

-University at Buffalo Biostatistics MA
-Yale University Biostatistics MPH

Although the sought degrees are different designations, I am not sure if there is a significant discernable difference in the rigor or breadth of the curricula.

P.S. cyentist: I followed your advice and began to train with SAS; I am already, as a beginner, discovering extremely useful applications with the code!