I am a sub-par GPA applicant who's freeaaaaaking out

suckygpasucky

No advice to ask. I recently submitted my SOPHAS application and I'm feeling some anxiety about it. I just need to let things out. 

It's a boring tale really. I picked the wrong major but stuck with it even though I didn't love what I was learning. But now that I've found something I do love, I'm being haunted by this GPA.

I highlighted the few good things of my academic profile in my applications -- decent GRE score, went to a top 25 university, publications, volunteer and teaching experience -- ..... 

.........but I can't help but feel held back by my less than spectacular GPA.

/rant&sobstory

• 1 month later...

I had a 3.2.  like you, my major got hard--a lot of levels of calculus and physics, which are NOT my strong points. 

However, I did a lot of undergraduate research and was active on campus and in the community.  GRE scores were good.   Got into Hopkins, UNC, GWU, and U Michigan.

Don't worry too much.  You are MUCH more than your GPA--and your essay/resume should reflect that.  I was actually told not to bother applying to graduate school by a career counselor, because she took one look at my GPA and said forget it.  Thankfully, I didn't listen.  And admissions personnel don't just look at GPA numbers.  If you were in a hard major, that definitely factors in (a 3.0 in engineering is a tad more impressive than a 3.8 in criminal justice or something).  

Hang in there!