What would YOU do? (Northwestern related)

Northwestern is a great fit for me, based on my interests.  A professor even told me to check it out.  However, my Verbal GRE is 158, and their site says that their viable candidates have 166 Verbal, typically.  People on this board have said things to the effect of "there's wiggle room" (at NW w/ regard to GRE scores), but I'm thinking that wiggle room means 162 could cut it, but 158 maybe not.  And I do know the motto that "anything could happen" and "you never know."  But I want to balance that with a degree of practicality.  I just want to hear whether you'd risk it or not.  

I don't *need* to apply to Northwestern.  In fact, I have no particular desire to go there other than that it's in Chicago and that, being that I was told it's a good fit for me (and it is), and going with the idea that fit matters a lot, it seems like I *should* apply there. 

But...so...what would you do?

I feel the same way that you do, purpleperson. I have a 158 verbal and want to apply to Northwestern, among other top notch schools. I'm re-taking the GRE on Nov. 15th, but I'm not even sure I'll be able to do better or even if I do, I'm not sure my scores will make it there in time! I'm going to apply no matter what--I think the best advice is that they can't say yes to you if you don't give them the chance. Though, I'm trying to be realistic. Everyone says that schools may want a 160-something and that a 160 is probably the lowest...and then you start thinking, well a 158 isn't that far off from a 160 so maybe I'll be fine, but I'm just not sure how true that is. I talked to a program that is ranked in the 60s according to the US News report and even they said that a 158 would be low on their scales (in terms of getting funding etc, not necessarily in terms of getting into the program). 

At any rate, I definitely would apply if you have the time/money. I would just be realistic about it all in terms of banking on getting in. 

I feel the same way that you do, purpleperson. I have a 158 verbal and want to apply to Northwestern, among other top notch schools. I'm re-taking the GRE on Nov. 15th, but I'm not even sure I'll be able to do better or even if I do, I'm not sure my scores will make it there in time! I'm going to apply no matter what--I think the best advice is that they can't say yes to you if you don't give them the chance. Though, I'm trying to be realistic. Everyone says that schools may want a 160-something and that a 160 is probably the lowest...and then you start thinking, well a 158 isn't that far off from a 160 so maybe I'll be fine, but I'm just not sure how true that is. I talked to a program that is ranked in the 60s according to the US News report and even they said that a 158 would be low on their scales (in terms of getting funding etc, not necessarily in terms of getting into the program). 

At any rate, I definitely would apply if you have the time/money. I would just be realistic about it all in terms of banking on getting in. 

I just sent an email to Northwestern and asked them straight-up.  Of course, if I hear back from them at all, it probably wouldn't be until Monday at the earliest.  But...I hope I do hear from them and that they are straight with me. They probably won't be.  But an applicant can try....

It depends upon how strong the rest of your application is. A verbal GRE is essentially a reflection of your linguistic analytical ability, but in a highly competitive department they may use it as a filter to exclude candidates from getting selected.

So, if the other parts of your application - mainly your writing sample, personal statement, references and GPA are strong enough, you can still send in your application and have a fair chance of getting selected. 

You may also write to the Department and ask what kind of role the GRE plays in the selection process. If 166 is not the cut-off but just the typical score of the successful candidates and if the department doesn't have an official cut-off, I would still send in my application if the rest of the application package is strong.

My gut feeling is that 158 is too low.  It's not that I think they put so much weight on the GRE, nor that they even consciously want to.  But with 500 to 700 applicants (that's what I hear), there are going to be a lot whose GRE scores are 160 or better who also have a good writing sample, SOP, letters, GPA.  

I might apply there anyway, just so I never have to wonder "what if...?"  But my gut feeling is that I'm throwing money away just to not have to wonder that, not because I really think I have a chance at getting in.  

Such is life!

I just sent an email to Northwestern and asked them straight-up.  Of course, if I hear back from them at all, it probably wouldn't be until Monday at the earliest.  But...I hope I do hear from them and that they are straight with me. They probably won't be.  But an applicant can try....

Let me know what they say!  ; )  

Though, you're right, they probably will be vague. 

Edited by BunnyWantsaPhD

Bunny, I'll let you know.  Incidentally, I was just on their website and have discovered that they're not as impossible as I'd been thinking.  At least according to their website, they get about 280 to 350 applicants a year, not 500 to 700 as I for some reason said.  

Northwestern is a great fit for me, based on my interests.  A professor even told me to check it out.  However, my Verbal GRE is 158, and their site says that their viable candidates have 166 Verbal, typically.  People on this board have said things to the effect of "there's wiggle room" (at NW w/ regard to GRE scores), but I'm thinking that wiggle room means 162 could cut it, but 158 maybe not.  And I do know the motto that "anything could happen" and "you never know."  But I want to balance that with a degree of practicality.  I just want to hear whether you'd risk it or not.  

I don't *need* to apply to Northwestern.  In fact, I have no particular desire to go there other than that it's in Chicago and that, being that I was told it's a good fit for me (and it is), and going with the idea that fit matters a lot, it seems like I *should* apply there. 

But...so...what would you do?

The bolded comments don't make sense to me.

1. It's a great fit for you, as determined by you and your professor/advisor.

2. You seem to view the location as an asset.

how does it follow that you "don't *need* to apply?"

I'm just looking for some insight into how you are evaluating different schools since the two strengths that you mentioned are two of the most important (others being presence of funding, which there clearly is at Northwestern, as well as prestige, which there clearly is). I would say, especially for admission, fit would be the most important factor at most programs. With that in mind, fit is going to typically be the reason that someone with GRE scores/GPA/publication record that is a non-sequitur with the "average" admitted applicant is admitted. So long as you are reasonably assured that your application won't be tossed out because of your scores, I'd encourage you to apply so long as you really do fit there very well and there aren't other negatives (you like Chicago, it is a wealthy and prestigious program)

JLRC, I only meant that I don't need to apply there in the sense that I have plenty of other places (10+) to apply to that also qualify as good fits and are in cities I like.  It is not as if I planned to apply to a bunch of places that are of questionable fit and location-desirability but completely neglect a place like Northwestern that fits me well and is in a city I like. 

But I will likely apply to Northwestern.  It's good to hear people say give it a chance.  I think you are all correct.