Various Test Difficulties

ToomuchLes

I've read innumerable blogs, texts, threads, whatever that discuss various difficulties on the GRE. One thread, that I most recently read, mentioned how the test taker received a high 150, even though he spent months studying for it. A followed replied stated that he might have received a more difficult test, and then he proceeded to discuss how not all GRE tests are equal. 

Im under the impression that in order to achieve a high score, you need to do well on the first part of the test, so the computer can determine a low-ball score. Then in the second part, depending on how well you did, you'll receive harder questions.

In all honesty, Im not exactly sure how the GRE works, so if someone can explain it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

"Im under the impression that in order to achieve a high score, you need to do well on the first part of the test, so the computer can determine a low-ball score. Then in the second part, depending on how well you did, you'll receive harder questions."

I did not notice any huge difference from part one to part two on the verbal. Yes, the test adapts to you, but the change in the question pool is not so noticeable that is distracts you. In fact, worrying about "huh, this question is hard. I must be doing well!" is actually pretty counter-productive. Trying to gauge the difficulty of your questions is just a waste of your time.

As for "harder" tests, I agree completely that some tests are harder than others. I did significantly better my second time on the verbal. Why? I don't know; I retook to boost my quant score! I just got easier questions the second time. But when people talk about that, they're just talking about the luck of the question pool, and not some formula out there to receive the hardest questions to get the best score.

This just shows how different the tests can be.  In my exam, the second verbal and second math sections were significantly harder than the first sections.  SO much harder that I started to despair, which was a mistake.  Others who got past 160 on both sections said their was no considerable difference.  That said, One cannot worry about the difficulty differences while taking the test.  If you notice them, do not rejoice or despair.  

The general rule is that if you do well in round 1, round 2 will be harder, but the GRE is as flawed as any human endeavor.  Study hard and hope to get lucky.